Anyone tried a Jake Fan?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
JeffCrez

Anyone tried a Jake Fan?

Postby JeffCrez » April 7th, 2010, 2:04 pm

A good friend of mine has used a jake fan mounted on a arrow with a washer type fastner which allows the fan to swivel when a breeze or wind hits it. He has killed two nice toms using it. He said the first tom acted enraged when he saw it spin and came storming in to a load of #5's. That incident happened on a log trail in the woods. I resorted to buying a synthetic jakester fan only because I never saved a fan from the two jakes that
I killed quite a few years ago. On one hunt, 5 jakes came right in to check it out. For some reason I haven't tried it since. I use decoys as well and have had mixed success.
Using a real fan adds realizm and I think moves more than the synthetic fan which is much heavier and takes more wind to move it. Like most turkey tricks, they don't work consistently but they are one more option. So, save those jake fans! If nothing else they
will keep you on edge and ready as they gently spin in the breeze!
"Fall hunting is maneuvers, Spring hunting is war".......Tom Kelly

NovaBasser

RE: Anyone tried a Jake Fan?

Postby NovaBasser » April 7th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Could you post a pic?

JeffCrez

Postby JeffCrez » April 8th, 2010, 5:10 am

NovaBasser, I don't have a picture of it but I'm sure that a trip to a good harware store would give you some ideas for attaching the fan to the stake while allowing it to spin. Using a real jake fan is what makes it effective and sensitive to the breezes to add movement. It's worth the little bit of work required to put it together. I'm going to try using the fan with decoys in combination. In the end, it's just one more tactic that might or might not work on a given day. But, it does add a new dimension to the hunt.
"Fall hunting is maneuvers, Spring hunting is war".......Tom Kelly

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » April 8th, 2010, 5:23 am

I have used a Jake fan mounted on a wooden dowel with a bull clip.

The back side of the fan is pointed the direction I expect the turkeys to come in from. Often times I will put a hen a few feet in front of the fan.

The reaction to the fan is hillarious and is well worth doing. Last year, my opening day tom came in strutted up then broke out of strut apparently to beat the jake. You should have seen his reaction when he realized there was nothing on the other side. He went into strut again, then again broke out to beat the pesky jake and again found that there was no bird. A cloud of hevi-shot then came down upon his head.

I have been more than amused at folks willing to shell out over a 100 for a strttin tom decoy when my fan works as well. This year I bought a fairly nice jake decoy out of the bargain bin for 5.99. I have cut off the back half of the decoy and plan to mount my jake fan to that. It just an experiment and I have no doubt that it will work.

Randy

JeffCrez

Postby JeffCrez » April 8th, 2010, 11:00 am

RuttinBull, That's funny! I know what you mean.....I have all I can do to not LOL when a tom gives my decoys or fan that puzzled look. I find these experiments a great diversion especially during the inevitable silent periods during the season. My wife says that I have way too much time on my hands![:D]

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 8th, 2010, 1:55 pm

ORIGINAL: Ruttinbull

I have been more than amused at folks willing to shell out over a 100 for a strttin tom decoy when my fan works as well. This year I bought a fairly nice jake decoy out of the bargain bin for 5.99. I have cut off the back half of the decoy and plan to mount my jake fan to that. It just an experiment and I have no doubt that it will work.

Randy

Randy-

Being proud of your ingenuity, thriftyness and success are fine. Criticizing how other folks choose to spend their money and hunt, not so cool.

I own a hard shell full strut decoy and it was one of the best turkey hunting gear purchases I ever made. Five gobblers have fallen to Pretty Boy & Pretty Girl in just two seasons, three by me and two by other hunting friends. I would imagine most any two-year old tom would come into a jake tail. Here is something you probably didn't know, a full strut decoy provides some natural selection. Some 2 yr olds run from it because they've already had their tails whipped. Four out of the five gobblers we have taken with the full strut deke have been 3 yr olds or older... because they thought they were the current boss.

Does it work all the time? Nope. Do I hunt with it all the time or rely on it too heavily? Nope. But for archery hunting or trying to get a gobbler in front of a youngster, the strutter is tough to beat. I hunted with a Jakester fan tail for 5 seasons and got one tom with it. For me, the strutter with a real tail simply works better, provides some natural selection and was a good investment.

Have a great spring season and let us know how the new deke works out!

Jeff

<- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <-
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » April 8th, 2010, 2:48 pm

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

ORIGINAL: Ruttinbull

Randy

Randy-

Being proud of your ingenuity, thriftyness and success are fine. Criticizing how other folks choose to spend their money and hunt, not so cool.

<- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <-

I re-read my statement and didnt see where I was critical of anyone. However I have learned through many years that people can take the written word and infer what they wish. If you or anyone believe I was being critical, please accept my appologies as that is absolutely not what was meant.

May many gobbles light up your morning.
Randy

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 8th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Explanation accepted. You are very correct, the written word is often interpreted to mean other than it's author's intention. A year ago you would have been crucified by a faction of rogue purists on this forum for even mentioning that you owned a strutter decoy. I'm probably a bit hyper sensitive about the subject now as things got pretty personal around here. Getting laughed at for owning one pales in comparison on the disometer.

cheers-
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » April 8th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Thanks much!

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 9th, 2010, 6:46 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Explanation accepted. You are very correct, the written word is often interpreted to mean other than it's author's intention. A year ago you would have been crucified by a faction of rogue purists on this forum for even mentioning that you owned a strutter decoy. I'm probably a bit hyper sensitive about the subject now as things got pretty personal around here. Getting laughed at for owning one pales in comparison on the disometer.

cheers-

Some of us are still here Jeff [;)]
Notsomuch rogue, but just trying to strip away some of the beliefs that you have to have a decoy, guns that shoot out to 75 yds, scopes etc.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Next

Return to Strategies