Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
VTlongbeardslayer

RE: ?no reaction?

Postby VTlongbeardslayer » April 15th, 2010, 8:49 am

Thanks guys! i'll be sure to leave the calls in the truck this time. HA. [:D]

paturkeyhunter29

Postby paturkeyhunter29 » April 15th, 2010, 10:32 am

I agree with what has been said so far, all good advice! When scouting turkeys the less noise you make the better. When I was younger and new to turkey hunting I would go out before the season and call because I wanted to make em gobble (both to hear them and to prove my
calling was good enough) but I quickly learned that I was doing myself no good. Like others have said if you see them strutting for hens they
already have what they want and won't come to your calling. Right now watch their patterns morning and evening, use a locator call if you want
but once they gobble at it you should know where they are and shut up. Go out and listen in the mornings, they will gobble and give away their
location. Do your preseason work quietly and from a distance and you should be good to go come May 1st.
Love to hear the turkeys talk!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 16th, 2010, 6:05 am

Watch the flocks and see where they come into the fields in order to get an idea where they're roosting. Watch them when they leave to get an idea where you should hunt in late morning.

That's the best piece of advice you can get as a newbie to the sport.  I made the same mistakes.  Find'em and once you do figure out where their roosting and pitching come flydown...then you can start the calling.  Where in Vt you hunting?  I have  a spread in the NEK I might head up to later during the season.

Previous

Return to Strategies