?no reaction?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
VTlongbeardslayer

?no reaction?

Postby VTlongbeardslayer » April 15th, 2010, 5:17 am

so i went scouting all morning, i'd drive around my local area and once i see a flock id get out and sneak up until i was about 100 yards or less away (un-noticed). i would let out a few clucks, yelps, purrs etc... the damn turkeys will not react or respond, but they are strutting already and my turkey season isnt till the 1st of may, what am i doing wrong? the turkeys have no response at all... i have two weeks to figure this out, and its vaguely frustrating.

mcvitullo

RE: ?no reaction?

Postby mcvitullo » April 15th, 2010, 5:28 am

Umm.... Its very hard to sneek up on turkeys. I would never even attempt it. Theres a very good chance they saw you even if it seemed like they didn't. Also, calling to turkeys before season is not a good idea. Your best bet is to watch and pattern your birds. Seems like your seeing alots of birds. I would just watch them from a very safe distance and get to know what they are doing. Good luck!
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

pinetag

Postby pinetag » April 15th, 2010, 5:32 am

I would keep watching and not give them any more calling whatsoever.  I suspect they are not responding because they have hens with them.  Dont panic just keep watching and taking notes from fly down to midday to roost.  Some birds just need to be harvested in the pm if you state allows.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 15th, 2010, 6:06 am

Hi VTlongbeardslayer! 

Ok! You have alot of DON"TS going on here!

FIRST!  DON"T CALL THE BIRDS BEFORE SEASON!!!!!!!!
                       I can't explain how important that is. A couple years ago guys were calling left and right before season in my area on the public lands and lo and behold come opening day the birds would not utter a peep! By calling pre season you educate the birds that they hear hens and go to find no one there. So then they end up coming in when they see hens only, for the most part.

SECOND!    Don't try to sneak up on the turkeys. They will see you and get real jumpy.  And you don't want skittish birds to try and hunt. Watch the birds from a distance. Use binoculars to get a closer look. Don't disturb their natural routine. If you disturb their routine you will never be able to pattern them and get an idea where their travel routes are. Turkeys have exceptional sight and can spot movement from a good distance away. As long as you don't invade their comfort zone you'll be alright. You might think your unoticed but trust me, they know your there. Most times they will see you before you see them. They just determine weather your a threat or not at the time.

Read up on some of the posts here and take notes if needed. There is alot of usful info here for you to take advantage of.  Good Luck!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 15th, 2010, 6:11 am

ORIGINAL: VTlongbeardslayer

so i went scouting all morning, i'd drive around my local area and once i see a flock id get out and sneak up until i was about 100 yards or less away (un-noticed). i would let out a few clucks, yelps, purrs etc... the damn turkeys will not react or respond, but they are strutting already and my turkey season isnt till the 1st of may, what am i doing wrong? the turkeys have no response at all... i have two weeks to figure this out, and its vaguely frustrating.

The advice you've been given so far is good, but I would add one thing.

Even if the turkeys aren't spotting you, your tactic is a waste of time. You say you see a flock that gobblers are displaying for. That means the gobblers' attention is on the hens in that flock. They aren't likely to pay any attention to your calls. The old saying, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" applies here. When a gobbler has what he wants right in front of him, he has no reason to respond to you. He hears you, and so do the hens.

Occasionally he will gobble, especially if the hens start leading him away. If they lead the gobblers away, they are responding to you, although not vocally. By moving off they are telling you that they don't want you around. If a gobbler gobbles to you in that case, all is saying to you is "We're moving off -- if you want to come you better come now."

Watch the flocks and see where they come into the fields in order to get an idea where they're roosting. Watch them when they leave to get an idea where you should hunt in late morning.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

dam3391

Postby dam3391 » April 15th, 2010, 7:04 am

VTlongbeardslayer be patient my man!  Listen to every word of advice that other have just given you.  I am from VT, the gobblers are henned up right now.  Just watch their patterns from a distance, early morning strut zones and last light fly up locations for roosting.  The hens will be nesting in the next week or so and some may already be.  They have been running hard for about 2 weeks now.  Just hold on, cuz I think we are going to hit hot zone on May 1st.

I use one cardinal rule... If you can see the turkey, he's already seen you!  Don't sneak up and for the love of god if you intend to hunt these turkey's do no more calling!

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 15th, 2010, 7:24 am

Everyone here has already said everything that needs to be said but I'm going to repeat in anyway. It's great that you're trying to do a little preseason scouting but leave the turkey calls in the truck. The only call you should have with you is a locator call and also a pair of binoculars will come in handy as well. Also, if you see a flock in the distance, don't approach the turkeys because 99.9% of the time they will spot you, not matter how well you think you can sneak up on them. Instead, get behind a tree or some cover and just watch them and see where they go to next. Determining where they travel is much more important than having them gobble to you when scouting. Good luck to you this year VTlongbeardslayer, and I hope to see some pictures on here soon showing off your success!

VTlongbeardslayer

Postby VTlongbeardslayer » April 15th, 2010, 7:35 am

Thanks guys for your help! its that gobbler fever thats gettin to me, gotta learn to take things slow i guess! but anyways! thank you all!

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » April 15th, 2010, 7:51 am

VT Longbeard slayer,  I would add that when it does come time to hunt, go easy, don't over call, it sounds like you might have a tendency to do so , but resist and with the 'earlyish' spring we are having keep you eyes peeled as they will sneak in on you with all the lush greenery so all the more reason to call sparingly.  The guys are right, when a gobbler is sitting pretty with hens, he could care less about you and if nesting relaxes a bit in the next couple weeks we should all be in a better position with gobblers back on the prowl and covering more ground.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 15th, 2010, 8:42 am

Pretend like you have a 16 oz ribeye on your plate, and somebody down the road is calling you and iviting you to comeover and have a 16 oz NY Strip....Some days you would take um up on that offer, when you didn't have that ribeye on your plate.

When they have hens with um, they already have what they are looking for, fat chance you will call one to you in that situation. another term is called "all henned up"
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Next

Return to Strategies