Decoy Setup.

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
dworz

Decoy Setup.

Postby dworz » April 20th, 2010, 5:56 pm

Not really knowing alot about Turkey Hunting, Only what iam told or read, I was considering purchasing my own Decoys but didnt know what brand to buy, and what combo of Birds to purchase. Also is there a box call that calls better than the other. I have a Cheap one i picked up at Gander Mountain just to start with this, and it works pretty good but it has yet to call a bird in, this being my first year to Turkey Hunt. And the season starts 4/21/10 but for me it starts 4/22/10. Thats why i joined this Fourm to learn, bare with me on the qustion, as iam learning on the Go...

Dworz

FullStrut

RE: Decoy Setup.

Postby FullStrut » April 21st, 2010, 1:53 am

decoys have their place an time. they wont always work but you can buy a couple hens, jake, sturtting gobbler or jake etc etc. their are many brands but id say stay away from cheap ones that dont look all that good. this is only my second turkey season so i dont know all the stuff yet but as for box calls or any call for that matter dont give up on a call becuase you havent gotten a bird. it takes more then a call to make the whole hunt workout just keep practcing

Rennat

Postby Rennat » April 21st, 2010, 4:24 am

i dont use box calls so im no help there, but as for decoys i like the Cherokee sports brand of inflatable decoys with the molded heads... go the extra couple of bucks and get the molded head decoys they are real decent....

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » April 21st, 2010, 4:28 am

ORIGINAL: dworz

Not really knowing alot about Turkey Hunting, Only what iam told or read, I was considering purchasing my own Decoys but didnt know what brand to buy, and what combo of Birds to purchase. Also is there a box call that calls better than the other. I have a Cheap one i picked up at Gander Mountain just to start with this, and it works pretty good but it has yet to call a bird in, this being my first year to Turkey Hunt. And the season starts 4/21/10 but for me it starts 4/22/10. Thats why i joined this Fourm to learn, bare with me on the qustion, as iam learning on the Go...

Dworz

You must be a Hoosier then.  I am going out tomorrow after work myself.  As for decoys,  I use the Cherokee Sports decoys.  They are a balloon type so they make for easier carrying.  I bought a bunch after season so I also bought a backpack to carry them in.  They do look really lifelike even though I wish they were a little bigger then they are.  I would get at least one of each type they have and like FullStrut said.  They have time and place and may not always work.

Calls are they same way.  I prefer pot calls over anything else.  They are easy to use and sound very good.  When it comes to to turkey hunting, unlike deer, you have to have a big variety of calls because some may work one day and not the next. 

One other thing about turkey hunting is to have patience.  I have been hunting them for ten years and haven't taken one yet but each year I learn more and more.  Hopefully this is the year it all pays off.  

Return to Strategies