Too early to use a strutter in SE SD?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
wymuley

Too early to use a strutter in SE SD?

Postby wymuley » April 18th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Tried a killer b yesterday and one tom just hung out about 20 yards away for a couple hours, but brush was obscuring him. He didn't come in he didn't leave he just sat there. Yesterday, I only saw toms and today I only saw hens. Is it early enough that the gobblers aren't interested in hens yet? Sorry I'm a novice.

Fargohunt

RE: Too early to use a strutter in SE SD?

Postby Fargohunt » April 19th, 2010, 4:03 pm

Not sure where you are hunting, but from here in NY and from reports in many states, they are in full strut and tagging along with hens. I just returned from an evening tour of 2 spots and both had 3 goblers and about 8-10 hens each in the group. It might be a tad early for a full fan gob dec, but that might depend in status in each individual flock. Depending on jakes, the dominant tom and how much pressure the older toms are putting on the 2 yr olds, they might be a little shy of getting their butts wooped, but it seems a little early for that too. Have you tried a jake and hens--many have fouind that to be a better sell and rarely scares off a gob. Good luck and keep us posted.

dworz

RE: Too early to use a strutter in SE SD?

Postby dworz » April 21st, 2010, 8:55 pm

No there courtin Hard here in Indiana. Stay with it.

Return to Strategies