Need your advise

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Rennat

Need your advise

Postby Rennat » April 23rd, 2010, 11:00 am

in Northern Maine where i live we dont have many turkeys, not like southern maine that has a good population anyway,
I found some turkeys about 1 hr south of me that im gonna take my daughter to hunt next weekend on the youth hunt.. I know there is one gobbler 1 small jake and 5 hens as i have seen them all together and so has the landowner.. I know where they are roosting and know which direction they are headed after they hit the ground they will be headed right toward us in the general direction anyways.... My question is since im a firm beliver in decoys with this being mainly farmland and open pasture that im hunting what decoy combination should i use? i have a full strut, a jake , 4 feeding hens and 2 submissive hens but am not sure what combination may work the best.. any ideas?
he stays tight with his hens this much i have seen I havent tried calling to him yet so am not sure what response if any i will get from him

any ideas?

Bryan78

RE: Need your advise

Postby Bryan78 » April 23rd, 2010, 11:06 am

I guess it might depend on the situation at hand but if it were me, I would use the jake and 1 submissive hen.  But I might also think about using the feeding hens.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » April 23rd, 2010, 3:57 pm

I have never used a full strut decoy but I bet that ole boy wouldnt like seeing another tom in his area. I would also put a hen in the breeding position out in front of him.

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 23rd, 2010, 4:09 pm

I hve the same type of small flocks here where I hunt. I use one or two hens and a full strut decoy. I stopped using Jake decoys because they seemed to work better when there were more Toms in a flock. Only one Tom makes me hesitate to use a Jake decoy, especially if he has a jake with him.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Rennat

Postby Rennat » April 23rd, 2010, 11:52 pm

ORIGINAL: Kawboy888

I hve the same type of small flocks here where I hunt. I use one or two hens and a full strut decoy. I stopped using Jake decoys because they seemed to work better when there were more Toms in a flock. Only one Tom makes me hesitate to use a Jake decoy, especially if he has a jake with him.

Thats what im thinking, do you have much resistance using a full strut on small flocks?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 24th, 2010, 5:36 am

On small flocks I like to use just the strutter. The new kid on the block useally gets a lot of attention.[;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Rennat

Postby Rennat » April 25th, 2010, 4:48 am

thanks guys think i will go with the strutter and maybe a hen

Return to Strategies