RE: Help! Need advice on set-up

Postby mark hay » April 27th, 2010, 8:02 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: BigBuckeye

Hey Deanoz, that land isn't public, it is my property [:D]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

DeanoZ

RE: Help! Need advice on set-up

Postby DeanoZ » April 27th, 2010, 10:43 am

LMAO...you guys are a hoot...thanks for the laughs...but on a serious note I wish it was any one of your properties, at least I know I won't get shot and would be amongst friends[:D].  Ok so day 2 was a repeat of day 1, had the area to myself again with the following additions...the hen showed up from a different direction (my left) vice my right about 0730, but I chalk that up to her traversing the hill differently today.  Then a half hour later I heard gobbles about 300 meters more to the northwest of me.  He gobbled once in response to me, then gobbled 3 more times on his own and then shut up.  I had actually debated about getting up and trying to see if I could close the gap, but figured I'd stay put in case he was headed my way but being tight lipped about it.  Suffice it to say he never showed.  About an hour later (10am) another lone hen comes by again, at first I thought it was the same one but this one was smaller.  Then an hour later "BOOM, BOOM" about a couple hundred meters to my front...I thought damn someone got the Gob I was after.  However after further investigation it looks to have come from some private property across the road...they may still have gotten the Gob, can't tell. [:(]

So now my strategy will be to setup in the spot closer to the roost tomorrow....I need to see whats flying down (if they are still roosting there) and which way they're headed.  Mark I thought the same thing except I figured the lone girl was the one who I saw and the gob was locked up with the one I did'nt see?  BTW, that second hen headed right back for the roosting location so is it possible she's nesting there?  Am also thinking the torrential downpour we had right about the time they roost may have altered the location they roost from...is that possible?  Now that the weather has broke will they go back to their original roosting sites?  Should I have gone after that Gob I heard even though he did not respond to my calls?  I read here on the forum its best to get them to respond at least three times before determining if they are receptive and worth setting up on?

I definitely plan to keep after them, but I only have 3 more days to close the deal so i need to make each setup count and only consider those strategies which have the best odds...but if I leave those woods empty handed I can live with that too, heck I got a lot farther this year than last, lol.  Thanks fellas, keep'em coming I need all the help I can get!

Previous

Return to Strategies