Help! Need advice on set-up

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
DeanoZ

Help! Need advice on set-up

Postby DeanoZ » April 25th, 2010, 3:43 am

Hey fellas tomorrow is my opener and I need some advice on my setup. I've posted a pic of the spot for some perspective.  The arrow indicates the roost location, the circled spot is the hedge row the jutts out from the tree line in an easterly fashion.  My plan was to position myself in that hedge row oriented in a southerly direction towards the field with the deke about 20 yrds in front of me.  This being public land I'll probably only get one crack at this so I want to ensure I position myself apporiately and not risk scaring them off the roost or have them fly off in the opposite direction come fly down.  I do plan to get in there early, well before first light to avoid the birds seeing me and also becuase it will probably rain and I'll need to set up a blind.  I honestly don't know how the birds will react to any calling.  In the times I've been hunting this area they have been tight lipped.  So I will not call until flydown..and only if he does not see my deke or choses to ingnore it and head off the other way.  I also have the option of setting up on the other side of the hedge row and the first time I saw this flock they had traversed the other side of the hedge row  (not sure if they pitched down there) and traveled in a northeasterly direction hugging the treeline around until the crossed the road and continued in a northeasterly fashion.  When I roosted them they travled to the roost spot in a similar direction.  Since its a short distance from the hedge row to where they roost (75 yrds) I'm concerned that I might scare them off the roost.  Also since I've never seen them pitch down I'm concenred that they may pitch down on the northern side of the hedgrow and my set up...just not sure what will happen to be honest. Like I said I don't think I'll get but one shot at this so I'm open to suggestions on where I should set up. Thanks for you advice fellas, its greatly appreciated.

Rennat

RE: Help! Need advice on set-up

Postby Rennat » April 25th, 2010, 4:46 am

its hard to say just what they will do, you may have other hunters on the other side of the woods in the fields ....
to me it sounds like you know where they are and where they want to go and put yourself in the middle... you really cant do much more than that on a 75 yard stretch... personally i like to be a little further away from the roost but sometimes you got to do what ya need to.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 25th, 2010, 5:03 am

Thanks Rennat, yeah it is a small area and other hunters are a real concern...I have not seen any, but since its public land that does not mean they won't be there.  My sense is I should probably set up on the other side of the hedgrerow (north side) in those two clumps of trees just to the north.  This way if they do pitch down north of the hedgerow I can cut them off.  Either way my sense is they will move in a northeasterly direction (as they have previously) and I can cut them off there.  Oh and tomorrow the forcast calls for steady rain, so should be interesting.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 25th, 2010, 7:34 am

I think I'd set up between the roost area and that first little island of trees, right a long the tree line. That way if they came out into the field or if they hung in the tree line you'd be able to cut them off on anything headed north, and it would put you about 200 yards from the roost area. If you drew a line from the center of your circle to the NW corner, right about in that area where it cut through the tree line. That way you could cover the field and tree line both?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 25th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Thanks for the advice Willow, so I walked the ground today @ midafternoon.  Saw tracks just around the tip of the hedge row headed in a northeasterly direction but could not find more.  I set up two sites...one in the hedgerow and the other in the far island of trees as you suggested Willow, just a bit more east of your recommendation.  After walkign the ground that northwest corner is very low ground and if they do cut across to the north east they would never see my decoy.  I'll play it by ear and if I can hear them off that roost I'll set up closer...if not then I'll set up to the north...and pray, lol!  Thanks for your help fellas!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 25th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Tight lipped doesn't necessarily mean he /they won't come in .

However you chose to make your set up ,,,,,,,,,,,,,DO IT SILENTLY . I 'm not referring to calling ,,,,but making your approach and set up.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 25th, 2010, 1:07 pm

Mark, thanks for the advice...yes that is my main concern with the first setup spot...when I walked the ground I noticed if I hugged the tree line along the west I could sneak in unseen through the back side of the hedge row.  I also know deer love that hedge row so there is the chance they could bust me.  The setup to the north in that clump of trees I doubt they would see or here me..thats about 200 meters to th north from the roost and would be a more quiet entrance.  since all be using a blind I was concerned about the noise I might make.  But ultimately I'm going to make that call once I get there.  Thanks for the advice Mark!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 26th, 2010, 9:07 am

Well ultimately i followed everyone's advice and thought it the better of common sense to go with the setup more to the north.  I was also setting up a blind and since it would be the second time I've done so I was not sure how much noise I would make.  Suffice it to say, I struggled with it a bit, lol.  The setup though was great, despite being busted by a deer when i was setting up.  i put the deke out in front at 30 yrds (thought it was 20) so I'll have to bring it in closer next time.  I never heard or saw a peep during flydown hours.  Matter of fact I heard a scant gobble a good distance away.  I kept quite until about sunrise and then let out some soft yelps and a few clucks.  No response, and I was not expecting any, just hoping to steer them in my direction.  At around 0700 I caught movement to my right and saw a lone hen come strutting in.  I got myself ready thinking the gob would be right behind her...but she was by herself...which I thought kind of odd since each time I've seen the flock its been the Gob and 2 or 3 hens.  She strutted right on by, in no particular hurry.  She seemed neither put off nor interested in my deke, she just kept right on walking by, and paid no mind to my blind either.  I continued the yelps and clucks in a series every half hour or so until 1100, but nothing responded nor did I see any more birds.  The rain was light and intermittent so i doubt it had any impact on the birds.  My scouting seems to have paid off, and it seems my hunch was right on the direction of travel as well as roosting area, just disappointed Ol'e Tom didn't show.  But I'll be back out tomorrow, same spot and hopefully he'll show this time.  Thanks for the advice all, and if you have anymore thoughts please feel free to share them.  Oh one last thought, is it possible that Gob could be locked up with the other hen and thats why I did not see him?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 26th, 2010, 2:21 pm

I'd guess that lone hen is a nester now . The gobbler may be locked up with the other girl you mentioned . The light on/off rain may have kept them in another spot too.
 Keep after 'em ,,,,,,,,,,,you'll figure 'em out .

JeffCrez

Postby JeffCrez » April 27th, 2010, 4:14 am

Deanoz, I think you had a very successful 1st day. Some hen action, no other hunters and a gobble heard. He is there somewhere close by, keep at it and try to determine which way he goes at flydown.
"Fall hunting is maneuvers, Spring hunting is war".......Tom Kelly

Next

Return to Strategies