Can't getem to answer an owl/crow call

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
WyoHunter

RE: Can't getem to answer an owl/crow call

Postby WyoHunter » April 28th, 2010, 5:21 pm

ORIGINAL: texasbax

ok, went back out this morning and hit the owl call around 6:15 and got an answer right off the bat. Although it was a good distance away I walked closer and hit the owl call again and got another answer but much closer.
When it got near light I yelped a couple of times and got an immediated double gobble. For the next 45 minutes we talked back and forth. I was on the edge of a big open pasture and he was in a cedar thicket. He came to the edge of the field and stopped. He just wouldn't come in the open. He left and made a big circle and came in behind me. I cut at him and here he comes. He was incredible. Strutting and druming his way to me. When he got about 30 yards from me I took the safety off, aimed, and CLICK! I was freakin out. I was able to chamber another round, aimed, and CLICK again.
Although I didn't get the bird it was a great hunt. He will live to hunt again. He was awesome.
I believe the calls are working now, the birds could have been in a funck for a day or so.
Thanks to all for the advise, I guess I need a gunsmith now, huh. Anyway, great, great time. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow.
Like you said you had a great hunt. Now all you need to do is find a good gunsmith!
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble! Springtime serenade for us Turkey Hunters!

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » April 29th, 2010, 3:40 am

This past weekend I managed to hear only one gobble on the roost on private property and that's all I heard all day!  I even heard a real owl (and yes, I know it was real and not another hunter), and that didn't elicit any gobbles.  A little later, the crows started yelling at the top of their lungs and no gobble there either.
At flydown time, we could see approximately 20 turkeys with 4 or 5 strutters about 150 yards away.  Still, no gobbles and no way of pulling them our way.  I'll sure be glad when the hens start nesting.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 29th, 2010, 4:38 am

Don't get discouraged Firefly!  Sometimes if you want to get a shock gobble out of the birds changing up what you use will work wonders. Try a woodpecker or redtailed hawk call or even a coyote howler. Also. When you do hear crows makeing a fuss the area where they are will more than likely have turkey. for some reason crows tend to follow the turkeys around and keep pretty close to them. Probably because the crows are scavagers and it is easier for them to pick around the ground where the turkeys have already scratched up. Although some would probably say that the crows are in a conspiracy with the turkeys to warn them of hunters coming in! LOL!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Previous

Return to Strategies