Ol Tom wont come in

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
shad309

Ol Tom wont come in

Postby shad309 » May 2nd, 2010, 4:33 am

I've been after this bird for 2 years and I have only 2 photos to show for my hard work. I don't work him every weekend but I can't keep myself from going back. He is in the same field every morning struttin his stuff (no matter what season). I have tried every call i have, borrowed calls, set up decoys, no calling, & a blind. I can get him as close as about 70 yards but he wont come any closer.
When I leave him alone and just watch the field, he is in the same exact spot everytime. Just not when I'm in the field too.....

Thoughts?

Here are my 2 keeper pics. Keep in mind that I prefer to take my "shots" in lethal range too [;)]

Shad Arington

DBraman

RE: Ol Tom wont come in

Postby DBraman » May 2nd, 2010, 6:00 am

If he is in the exact spot every time, I would set in way that he couldn't see me 30 yards from that spot. I would leave my calls and everything but my gun in the truck.
Mellon Creek Outfitters
www.melloncreekoutfitters.com

shad309

Postby shad309 » May 2nd, 2010, 6:34 am

That's the thing, I've done that and he ends up struttin in a different spot in the field. I don't know what it is but he just knows something's not right. I can be sitting there and deer walk within feet of me but he knows.
Shad Arington

eggshell

Postby eggshell » May 2nd, 2010, 6:44 am

What you need is a blind made from materials around the field. This is not something you can do now, very easily, but starting next fall construct it within range of the spot and have it in place by at least 2 months before season. So come season it is just a natural fixture. If he is not alive next spring I'd bet another bird uses the spot. Good strut zones are often used for years by many birds.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 2nd, 2010, 6:58 am

You ever notice how a gobbler will go into strut and stand motionless for sometimes minutes ? You watch one with field glasses and you'll notice that unlike a horse , that'll end up closing his eyes and sleeping , that gobbler is looking . He sees every  defined aspect of that brushy field . He sees what is new and knows what is old . Is he that smart ? I don't know . He probably ain't doing it with deliberation , it's just his survival instincts and keen eyesight . And he's taking it all in .
  You get there in the dark and do whatever it is you do. When he gets there he has the advantage of PERISCOPE . He can do a complete circle of that field and PERISCOPE UP several times , from different spots to examine the field .
 IFI had one opportunity at him , in that field , I'd give him one call while they are still on the roost .
 KEEKEERUN of a jake . One time . And that thought comes to mind due to you not mentioning hens , and his solitude in that field . I doubt he'll want to share it with a juvenile .
 I hope you figure him out and kill him with sound calling and a clean shot,,up close .

shad309

Postby shad309 » May 2nd, 2010, 7:04 am

Great advice! I think I'm gonna lay off him for the rest of the spring and let him do his thing. I will make sure to head out this fall and build my sniper spot! That will hopefully do the trick. I will make sure to put up pictures if I ever outsmart this guy. And we call them turkeys....
Shad Arington

Rennat

Postby Rennat » May 2nd, 2010, 7:11 am

i would set up a ground blind within his favorite spot he may avoid it for a week but i bet he will be back to his favorite spot again soon and hopefully you will be in the blind just my 2 cents

ever thought of using a treestand? while hes searchin gthe field you could be puttin a bead on him from above :) there are ways to take any turkey it all depends on how bad you want him and if luck is on your side that day LOL

limbhanger

Postby limbhanger » May 2nd, 2010, 8:07 am

Hey Shad
while facing similar callenges from wary toms, I've found that my deer hunting patience has worked wonders.
1. Don't give up on this bird, pattern him instead. He may not do the same thing everyday, but he will do the samething multiple times. Enter the field, or walk by a log or rock pile, something will be his weak link.
2. This is where your deer hunting will pay off, you will probably spend a few days just sitting and enjoying nature, than it will happen, and the ol' tom will come strolling by. You've done it for deer,and never thought twice about it, try it for tom, and bush wackem' on the way by.
3. No calls, no fakes, and quiet, early, entry.
4. and a little good luck never hurts either.

Gbln Fvr

Postby Gbln Fvr » May 2nd, 2010, 10:52 am

I agree with limbhanger completely. There is a farm by me and that's the only way I can tag a bird on that farm. No calls, no dekes, no nothing. Just sit back and wait. From the looks of it he's awesome!!!!! He'll be worth the wait!!!!

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » May 3rd, 2010, 10:22 am

Georgeous pics Shad!!  That would almost be enough ....  not.

Great advice from the guys here.  Hope it works, quite a trophy waiting on you there!!
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Return to Strategies