Afternoon tactics?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
limbhanger

Afternoon tactics?

Postby limbhanger » May 4th, 2010, 8:49 am

Well Ohio is trying an experimental, two week all day hunt til' sunset. It is the last two weeks of our season. Having always been a morning til noon hunter, this is untraveled ground.
I guess like mornings I don't want to ruin the reguler roost site by hunting too close. So what do you folks who have afternoon experience use for stratigies. I know a book could be written to answer the question, but a few sound bits of advice would really help. I will still be a morning hunter for the most part do to my work schedule, but I hope to get a few all day hunts in.
Thanks

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Afternoon tactics?

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 4th, 2010, 11:21 am

This is when knowing his strut zones pays off. The birds we have up here will work from one strut zone to another checking to see if any hens are around. They will stick to the thickest cover they can find to get out of the sun, thick cedars or even marshes are a good place to set up along. If you know where they are roosting and where the thick cover is set up between them later on in the day and catch them coming back to roost.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » May 4th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Similar situation here, Limbhanger.  I went out last evening and listened.  A little after 6 pm I heard gobbles and eventually 3 birds were around me.  Couldn't get them in closer than 75 yds.  They were near one of the roosting areas.  Eventually they went to another another roost where I didn't have permission to hunt.  Next time out, I'm going to set up where they may enter the woods, hopefully about 3 or 4 pm.

limbhanger

Postby limbhanger » May 4th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Thanks for the tips I was thinking something along the same way. I was guessing to try and key in on lonely toms. I will have to wait a day or two before I get the chance. My daughter has just phoned and told me that the ol' Limbhanger has grandchild #4 on its way. I'll be sure to update if it will be a little hunter or huntress.[;)]

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » May 7th, 2010, 11:56 am

My experience here in Georgia is that the birds rarely gobble in the afternoon and if they do it's after 5:00. Mid day birds I've dealt with just slip in quietly.

I've always hunted them based on scouting knowledge and setting up in the area I knew they used.
I've alway set up and called every 10-15 minutes. I'll start out low in case one 's close and then I'm not afraid to put some volume into it to make sure any birds passing by out at 200 yards can hear. This isn't for everyone but my line of thinking is that aside from cruising around and checking fields, to move when birds are quiet is to bump birds.

Taking a few minutes to fix up a ground blind and being sure to set in shade etc is worth while because again unless your birds are different, you won't know he's coming until you see him or hear him walking.

If you use decoys just set up facing them beacuse if they come in thats where they'll end up

I've killed alot of birds in the afternoon although I will say the mid day hunts are not nearly as exciting as when they're gobbling.

Now later and especially towards roost time they'll likely gobble and respond.

Out west birds act right earlier in the afternoon....Easterns are just hardheaded

Good luck to you up there
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Return to Strategies