Strike 2!!!

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
DeanoZ

RE: Strike 2!!!

Postby DeanoZ » May 9th, 2010, 3:33 am

ORIGINAL: WillowRidgeCalls

If you have a jake with them then facing away with the jake behind. Just the hens then facing toward you, a Tom will always try to get in front of a hen.

Dang nabit...I been doing that all wrong too...sheesh.  I had my deke always facing away from me because  I thought the Tom's always approach their rear...makes sense since the first encounter both the Tom and Jake wen right to her nose.  Got it, thanks Scott!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 9th, 2010, 4:47 am

Worst yet they will come around and stand 60 or 70 yds out in front of them and wait until the hen comes to them. Then they are out of range and leave when the hen doesn't move.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 9th, 2010, 5:18 am

ORIGINAL: WillowRidgeCalls

Worst yet they will come around and stand 60 or 70 yds out in front of them and wait until the hen comes to them. Then they are out of range and leave when the hen doesn't move.

Oh yeah, seen that too...my best opportunity would of been the first time he came running in...had he not got the drop on me and had I been ready (like I should have) we'd be having a different convo...but hey that's Turkey Hunting right?  I'm hopeful he's still around and considering the weather and lack of hunter sightings, I'm guessing the odds are good he will be.  Regardless I'll be ready!!!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 9th, 2010, 5:29 am

Another good tip for you is, if your hunting with a partner or two and a bird comes in and they shoot it. Don't run out and stand on it's head, let it flop around beating it's wings on the ground, and grab your call and run some fighting purrs. If there is another bird in hearing distance it will help draw them out, and you may take a double or a triple. Use every advantage you can get.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 9th, 2010, 5:40 am

Good tip Scott...but I'm hunting solo for now...and when I nail this Tom, I'm goign to run out and step on his head...he ain't getting away!!!!  Now if that crazy Jake is in tow, I may do exactly what you said, and if everything I've seen and heard is true, that jake will take his pot shots at the Tom while he is down, and that may set me up for another shot.[;)]

At this point I'll be happy to close the deal on this Tom so whatever else comes is gravy on top!  My calling or the amoutn of calling and when is of concern to me, but based on the strategies you Mark, jim and others have laid out I think i have it...

..if he's gobbling like crazy off the roost, no calling until fly down, otherwise if I only here one or two gobbles a soft tree yelp and shut-up until fly down.

...when he fly's down I shut up, unless he starts heading away from me, and then some clucks and purrs with some scratching

....as he's headed my way some excited purrs and soft clucks every now and then

....if he hangs maybe some soft yelps and cutting?

Sound about right?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 9th, 2010, 6:58 am

..if he's gobbling like crazy off the roost, no calling until fly down, otherwise if I only here one or two gobbles a soft tree yelp and shut-up until fly down.

...when he fly's down I shut up, unless he starts heading away from me, and then some clucks and purrs with some scratching

....as he's headed my way some excited purrs and soft clucks every now and then

....if he hangs maybe some soft yelps and cutting?

Sound about right?
[/quote]

Normally Yes, But this year the birds are about 2 weeks a head of scheduale, and the Toms are acting a lot like they do late in the season. I've been using more impatient hen talk and it's been working for me? The aggressive cutts, purrs, and cackles are what's been sealing the deal, if I get a bird to answer the soft stuff. Don't be affraid to switch around with your calling. You don't have to do a lot of calling, but keep it differant don't stay on just one type switch it back n forth all in the same series, soft-aggressive-soft.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 9th, 2010, 10:26 am

OK I can see right now I'm going to have to start a separate topic on transition periods and calling strategies for each...this can get really confusing!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 10th, 2010, 5:11 am

Was back out this morning, first time since my last hunt on Wednesday, when i shot and missed at a Tom.  I decided on my way to the property I hunt to change my setup location and ended up setting up in a clump of trees East of the field, close to the road, but oriented West.  Threw two dekes out and waited for first light.  Not a peep from the roost site so as it got close to fly down time I threw out a couple soft yelps...no response, threw out a couple more...nothing.  So I shut up and waited for sunrise and when it was past normal flydown time I gave a couple soft clucks, some purrs, and some scratchings.  Nothing...the woods were eerily quiet this morn.  I thought because it dropped to freezing this morning the birds were being tight lipped until later in the morning, but that was not the case I guess...so kinda scratching my head on this one.  About a half hour after sunrise a lone hen emerged in the field...I had to do a double take because she was so big and fat I thought it was a Tom at first.  Nothing (tom or hen) joined her and she made her way off the field towards the private property.  Stuck it out until 8am and then had to leave to go to work.  so a couple thoughts...we are either in T4 and things are winding down this week, or someone shot my gob between last Wednesday and Saturday...hoping its the former and not the latter[:(]  Tomorrow I'm going to hit up the spot where the hen headed towards on the opposite side of the field and no deke...we'll see what that buys me.

Previous

Return to Strategies