quite birds

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
greenhead14

quite birds

Postby greenhead14 » May 7th, 2010, 4:09 pm

So, I hunt in upstate New York and I am hunting a different location than what I am used to. I am an avid turkey hunter and fill my tags every year but this spot is giving me trouble. I can not roost the birds at all, and during the morning hours they will not gobble once I know that there are birds in the area becasue they will come to the field at night. (can only hunt till noon in NY)

I took out a couple of kids during the youth hunt which is a week before the season opens and had very good luck in seeing and also locating the birds. But as soon as the first week of the season started which today would be a week they seem to be gone. I have tried everything from the owl to crow call in the morning. Also trying to locate the birds after dusk with a crow call still no response. I have beens seeing people in the area just about every morning so it could be the hunting pressure that is making the birds go quite?

Any suggestions would help.

Everyday Hunter

RE: quite birds

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 7th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Welcome to the T&TH forums, greenhead.

It may be the hunting pressure that is making the gobblers go quiet, but sometimes there must be more to it than hunting pressure. Here, birds I heard on the day before the season opener from across the valley were quiet on day 1 of the season, and have been quiet ever since.

It will be interesting to see the answers to your question. Aside from hunting pressure, what makes gobblers go silent?

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

dam3391

RE: quite birds

Postby dam3391 » May 10th, 2010, 10:20 am

greenhead we are having the same problem in western VT in the champlain valley. The birds have been quiet from day one. Some guys are getting into some pods of hot gobblers, but for most over here its the same story, no-responsive, quiet gobblers.

Return to Strategies