mark hay

RE: Artificial Blind Usage

Postby mark hay » June 6th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Fine looking rifle Steve.

JPH

Postby JPH » June 6th, 2010, 3:37 pm

ORIGINAL: icdedturkes

So for the[color="#ff0000"] legal makes right crowd[/color], do you approve of rifles, bait and roost shooting where legal?

See why I didn't want to get into this? Do we really have to label each other? Seriously?

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » June 6th, 2010, 11:03 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

So for the[color="#ff0000"] legal makes right crowd[/color], do you approve of rifles, bait and roost shooting where legal?

See why I didn't want to get into this? Do we really have to label each other? Seriously?

I wanted to say the same thing but I didn't want to give him a soap box to stand on.  And I figure it would be better to ignore what he said anyways.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » June 7th, 2010, 8:02 am

ORIGINAL: Bryan78

I wanted to say the same thing but I didn't want to give him a soap box to stand on.  And I figure it would be better to ignore what he said anyways.

C'mon I don't think we really need to go there...I think that's how this topic got trashed the last time and I know JPH well enough to know he sees both sides and encourages others to do the same.

Scott, I'm with Grizzly, if it is perfectly legal to do so I won't condemn or judge another for doing it.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 7th, 2010, 10:46 am

Mr Gobblerman's comments were well made as were others..

I do have the "to each his own" attitude for the most part and don't consider myself in any positon to judge anyone else on how they choose to hunt and enjoy turkey hunting as long as it's legal. Whether I agree with it or not, doesn't make it right or wrong.

There are certain skills involved with nay aspect and like someone said you've got to know where to set one up.

I can see where bow hunters in particular may need and like to use them.

That all said:

I like the challenge of turkey hunting that involves making the right call on the right set up sometimes with only a moments notice, locating and concealing myself in a way that I use cover and shadows, control my movement, and feel the breeze if there is one. I ,like to travel fairly light

For me the ultimate challenge is calling a bird in close, without blinds or decoys and killing him the way I perceived an earlier generation of turkey hunters did it. Thats just my way. It was not always. It;'s changed thru the years

I do agree that you're taking out one of the challenging aspects involved. I suppose the same thing could be said about hunting on the ground versus a deer stand so I realize this can go on and on etc.

I believe the same thing goes for gobbler decoys and even hen decoys. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, thats the individuals choice but I do beleive that all of these takes out some of the untimate challenging elements of the way I've grown to enjoy hunting.

Bowhunters may say something similar about rifle hunters.

It may be that we all enjoy varying degrees of difficulty or we evolve with experinece and change how we hunt. I often make up a blind on the spot for afternoons because birds may come in quiet etc. I just don't carry one.

Again we all enjoy our hunting our own way. Some like beads, others like fiber optics, others red dots, some even like to shoot 20 gauges.

Some shoot out at 50 yards and some of us want em in close. I suspect we're all just as happy walking out of the woods with a bird over our shoulder no matter how we do it.

I believe there is something to be said for those who go out with nothing but calls, hide, call em in close, and kill turkeys consistently.
At the same time you've got to be doing alot right to kill birds regualrly from a blind

Thats my 2-4 cents worth.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

eggshell

Postby eggshell » June 7th, 2010, 4:31 pm

works for me....if it's legal it's a valid choice. As Bobby stated to each his own. Hey what the "H" is it to me how someone else hunts, the day I start trying to satisfy others at the cost of my own enjoyment...I have just sold my turkey hunting soul.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 7th, 2010, 6:15 pm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bryan78

quote:

quote:

So for the legal makes right crowd, do you approve of rifles, bait and roost shooting where legal?

I wanted to say the same thing but I didn't want to give him a soap box to stand on. And I figure it would be better to ignore what he said anyways.

C'mon I don't think we really need to go there...I think that's how this topic got trashed the last time and I know JPH well enough to know he sees both sides and encourages others to do the same.

JPH, Bryon78 & DeanoZ - Are you guys deputized thought police or just self appointed?
C'mon relax.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 7th, 2010, 6:51 pm

What I'm getting at is with the continued expansion of blind usage I think the deer are catching on even though the turkeys are not! What do you think?

Man what an opening for me with that question joeturkey, "what do I think?" I'll try to be kinda brief. [:D]
I agree deer will learn to spot and avoid blinds just like they have done with treestands. Deer have 3 dimensional sight with good depth perception making a blind easier for them to pick out.  Where as turkeys have 2 dimensional sight providing poor depth perception so they can not pick out a blind easily.  Except for example if the blind is made of synthetic fabric on a sunny day the reflection can spook them.  I am careful with synthetics in my clothes for this reason no matter the game hunted. Some blinds are made of material too thin as a result on a bright day your shadow inside the blind can be detected.  
I bought one of those new Quaker Boy vests with the blind built in.  It appeared like it would work pretty good for turkey hunting providing easy carry and fast setup.  The main problem the blind portion is made of polyester like material with gillie style leafy pattern. Due to the reflective abilities of polyester when I hung it up on a field edge with sun shining and breeze blowing it looked like a decorated Christmas tree in all its glitter.  No doubt the turkeys would not come near it.  It was promptly sent back for a refund.
Bottom line the blind material matters I prefer a non-reflective cloth type and because turkeys can see color as we do through 8X binoculars it needs to have the same color pattern as the surrounding area.

A blind that is the right color and not reflecting light can be set up in a field in plain sight and turkeys will not see it or pay it any attention to it.  However not the case with deer the blind must be brushed in well or it needs to be set up so the deer will see it at least 100 yards away before they enter a field. They get use to the sight of the blind and will walk into the field to feed offering 20 yd bow shots. As matter of fact if your bow is quiet and you hit one deer out of a group; stay quiet reload to shoot another.

My gillie suit is all wool no reflections rather it absorbs light. It is too hot the wear on many spring turkey hunts.  Fall hunting is great.  I can set up the gobbler lounger next to large tuffs of grass or cornstalks. Turkeys and deer frequently walk with 20 yds.  Really an exciting way to hunt both.  Of course remember you must pay very close attention to wind and thermal currents if deer are your target.  Actually you should pay attention even while turkey hunting; an alarmed deer will spook a flock of otherwise contented turkeys.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

JPH

Postby JPH » June 8th, 2010, 3:18 am

ORIGINAL: charlie elk

JPH..... - Are you guys deputized thought police or just self appointed?
C'mon relax.

Nope, I'm not the police for anything. Sorry for the trouble. Enjoy the discussion.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » June 8th, 2010, 10:34 am

Bryan78....... - Are you guys deputized thought police or just self appointed?
C'mon relax.

Didn't know I was tensed or something.  Listen, we are all here for one common goal and that is talking turkey, hunting turkey, and sharing our knowledge of turkeys.  This is the reason why I joined these forums to make myself a better hunter.

But what I don't want to see is someone criticizing others on the methods they use to hunt if those methods are legal in that person's state.  If icedturkeys doesn't use a blind to hunt then so be it, it doesn't make him a better hunter or person.  His comment was totally out of line and uncalled for.  The quickest way to ruin a good thing (these forums) is for someone to come on spout off something that is irrelevant to the discussion at hand and is doing nothing more then hijacking the thread.

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies