Artificial Blind Usage

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
charlie elk

RE: Artificial Blind Usage

Postby charlie elk » June 5th, 2010, 10:50 am

I found a really nice one upside down on a mountainside this spring....had apparently blown away from where it had been set up and the owner may not have been able to find it. I moved it slightly to a spot that I figured if someone came looking for it, it would be more visible. I plan on going back later this summer to see if someone came and got it....if not, I will pick it up and maybe find something to use it for at some point.

If it is still there & you don't want to use for turkey; give it a try for antelope.  The pop up blind was actually invented for antelope hunting by an antelope hunter.  Turkey hunters quickly adopted them.
Antelope and turkeys both have 2 dimensional sight which is why blinds are so effective for hunting them.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 5th, 2010, 11:06 am

joeturkey I started a thread over in the Wisconsin section for poult sightings.  Stop by and let us know what you are seeing.
I never really quit hunting it is a year round passion; even if I can't carry a gun I like to be out there finding out what is going on.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » June 5th, 2010, 11:11 am

i bought one a couple of years ago with the idea of hunting a feild during the fall season it didn't workout well , i tryed the next spring and after the first day i decided it wasn't for me . but for coyote hunting there isn't any thing better[:D] wayne

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » June 5th, 2010, 11:40 am

Hey Charlie, ghile suit is still camo to me, good idea though. I have taken a couple of whitetails with the blinds over the last few seasons. Whitetails do seem to notice the blinds more than turkeys . The deer I took were does. Almost got a shot at a nice 10 pt. but he spooked at the last moment, could have winded me? The very first time I set up the blind for whitetails I had 2 different bucks walk right up to me 8 yards away and stare at me and my blind like I wasn't even there. They both turned and looked away back down the field and offered me perfect broadside shots. This was about 5 or 6 years ago. The only problem was it was earn a buck in wisconsin and I hadn't harvested a doe yet! The bigger buck was a high wide 11pt. Can you say earn a buck sucks with me? What I'm getting at is with the continued expansion of blind usage I think the deer are catching on even though the turkeys are not! What do you think? Some blinds are really better than others especially for bow hunting for deer. Primos Vision blind for one. 360 degree shooting! If your gunning for turkeys any blind will do! Good luck and Good hunting Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » June 5th, 2010, 1:44 pm

But on second thought, I consider that those hunters had to successfully scout that location, set the blind in such a way as to avoid spooking birds. They had to predict the direction the birds will approach from and they need to work the birds with their vision and hearing limited. Maybe hunting from a blind might not only have its own advantages but also its own limitations as well.

Furthermore, I start to consider all the devices I use to hunt turkeys. Decoys, calls made from synthetic material, Under Armor, aerial photos, a shotgun with 3" mag loads. The list goes on and on. Considering that, what right do I have to determine what is cheating.

Bingo...well stated Joe, and that was the point of my post...I may regret saying this but its a bit like the legal use of the crossbow debate that has gone on in another forum. The conclusion at the end of the day is its legal, kills just as ethically as any other means, and has its own advantages and disadvantages.  I also recall another post in the same forum where one stick bow hunter basically condemned the use of any electronic devices in the woods.  it started with game cameras, then went on to rangefinders, lighted sights, red dots, etc.  My response was similar to Joe's...where do you draw the line?  If we are going to damn all those devices we might as well go back to hunting with rocks and spears!  [8|]

Personally, I'll continue to use a blind where its called for..and for me that's when it rains or for a setup that affords no natural concealment or a tree to lean against, otherwise I prefer to be without one...but I certainly won't look upon another hunter differently because he chooses to use one.

Good post fellas, glad we can keep it civil [:D]

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 5th, 2010, 4:35 pm

we might as well go back to hunting with rocks
  Hey I resent the reference to rocks[:D] 
I bought a blind 2 years to use on rainy days.  I deer hunted out of it last year and did mind it at all.  This spring I used it in the rain turkey hunting.  Yeah it got me in the field and gave me that much more of an opportunity.  I did not like it at all.  What was comfortable during deer season was small and confining to me in turkey season.  Another thing is when you set up a blind wrong you are double screwed before you make your first call.  Do those things offer any protection against lightning???[&:]

Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » June 5th, 2010, 6:06 pm

So for the legal makes right crowd, do you approve of rifles, bait and roost shooting where legal?

grizzly

Postby grizzly » June 6th, 2010, 7:09 am

icdedturkes the things you haved pointed out are not legal in n.y but they maybe in other states . but i maintain the these are ethical choices and it is up to us decided what is ethical for us. take this spring i made the choice not to shoot jakes legal here in n.y but i would never condem any hunter who did as being unethical .so as i see if a state allows it i'm not going to tell my fellow hunter he's wrong in his way of hunting because it's not the way i  hunt .as i said many times here before ETHICS ARE A MATTER OF PERSONAL CHOICE[;)] wayne

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 6th, 2010, 10:10 am

Steve is that rifle really a lefty /,,or did the negative get flipped ?

Either way ,,,SWEET!

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 6th, 2010, 12:12 pm

It is a lefty Mark.[:)]  If I am going to all that trouble to build a rifle for myself it is going to be a lefty.  L&R Late English left hand fire-lock, Montana .54 /1-72 barrel.  Never failed me in the woods.  BTW it is not my turkey gun, but has won several for me.[:D]
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies