Artificial Blind Usage

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
charlie elk

Artificial Blind Usage

Postby charlie elk » June 3rd, 2010, 4:13 am

During Wisconsin's 2010 spring season every hunter I encountered was either in  or toting a commercial ground blind.  This really surprised me; Are artificial blinds regularly being used all across the country?  Or is this  a local phenomenon?

Many blinds were set up prior to their owner's hunt in what looked like ambush points like a deer hunter would.  On public land they were preempting a location.

I don't like using them;
[ol][*]Too much like sitting in a tent peering out a window all day which is not my idea of a satisfying hunting experience.[*]Turkeys have walked into the side of blinds while I've been sitting in them.  Apparently they can's see em.  Making it feel like I'm shooting a blindfolded bird.[*]When the sun comes out they are too hot for my tastes.[*]I too lazy to carry one around.
[/ol]I prefer to sit out against the traditional tree, post or brush line taking experiencing all the sights and sounds.

later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Fan Club

RE: Artificial Blind Usage

Postby Fan Club » June 3rd, 2010, 5:08 am

They are used everywhere and for good reason. I look at it this way Charlie; Turkey hunters are the elite of the hunting world. Unlike most other forms of hunting, there is a very steep learning curve and it requires a degree of patience and a skillset of woodsmanship that the average guy simply does not possess. That is the reason that there are about 100 turkey vests for sale on E-Bay at any given time of the year. Many folks hunt several seasons without tagging a gobbler and just give up.

The easy up design of the modern pop-up has made it possible for a lot of marginal turkey hunters to score, guys that can't hold still or bump birds all of the time. Additionally, it allows young folks, handicapped hunters and hunters well past their prime the opportunity to get closer to birds than they ever would otherwise.

It's not my preferred way to hunt either, for all of the reasons that you listed, but I can see the advantages for a lot of other reasons. My 76 year old father can't sit still anymore because of a bad hip and can't chase birds like he used to. He uses a blind and killed a dandy late season gobbler this year over decoys and using nothing but a gobble tube- no hen calling which was sending toms the other way.

I took my handicapped friend this year and we had turkeys all around us for several hours one day, FIVE of them strutters. Although he didn't score, it never would have been possible for him to witness that without a blind.

<- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <- <-
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » June 3rd, 2010, 5:49 am

They have taken out one of the largest skills required to kill a turkey.. Blinds to a large degree has created a generation of folks that buy a license and never learn to turkey hunt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 3rd, 2010, 6:00 am

Even though I bought a pop up blind to use last year it is still in the original box it came in and hasn't had more than a few practice runs of being put up & taken down. I had planned to take my nephew turkey hunting this year and he can't sit still to save his life. Their plans changed and my nephew didn't come here this Spring.

I often use one of those curtain blinds where there is barely enough cover to set up.  We also have some low brush blinds built around the lease in key places to give us an easy place to set up and react to wherever we hear gobbles coming from.

No matter what, I always look for some cover to help hide me, if it is a few limbs I drag into place or if it a few cedar limbs I cut with my pruners and stick into the ground just to help break up my outline.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

JPH

Postby JPH » June 3rd, 2010, 7:42 am

ORIGINAL: charlie elk

During Wisconsin's 2010 spring season every hunter I encountered was either in  or toting a commercial ground blind.  This really surprised me; Are artificial blinds regularly being used all across the country?  Or is this  a local phenomenon?

Many blinds were set up prior to their owner's hunt in what looked like ambush points like a deer hunter would.  On public land they were preempting a location.

I don't like using them; [ol][*]Too much like sitting in a tent peering out a window all day which is not my idea of a satisfying hunting experience.[*]Turkeys have walked into the side of blinds while I've been sitting in them.  Apparently they can's see em.  Making it feel like I'm shooting a blindfolded bird.[*]When the sun comes out they are too hot for my tastes.[*]I too lazy to carry one around. [/ol]I prefer to sit out against the traditional tree, post or brush line taking experiencing all the sights and sounds.

So don't buy one.

Do we really need another thread that pits turkey hunter against turkey hunter based on the LEGAL methods they use to hunt turkeys? I really, really do not want us to start doing this again.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » June 3rd, 2010, 9:45 am

Now, now, Joe....take a deep breath there, buddy...[;)]   I understand your fears based on some of the antics we have witnessed on topics like this before, but I do think this discussion has some merit.  ...And we should be able to discuss it with complete civility. 

I have absolutely no problem with anyone who wishes to haul a blind around in the woods and set in it...if that is how they wish to turkey hunt.  To be perfectly honest, however, I think those folks that do that are missing out on part of the thrill of the hunt,....and I think it is perfectly fine for others to gently encourage them to try a different approach to the game.  That doesn't mean we should bully them around or condemn them for it.  I fear that many turkey hunters have accepted that blind-sitting is the accepted "traditional" turkey hunting approach because they have never had it presented to them in any other manner.

Personally, I cannot imagine ever being in a situation where I would want to kill a gobbler by sitting in a pop-up blind and waiting for him to wander close enough for me to do so.  However, that is entirely based on my perception of what turkey hunting is "about", and my own personal experiences in chasing gobblers.  It is also clear to me from all of our collective discussions on this forum (and others) that all of us don't live and hunt under the same conditions, and that using a blind may well be the best method of achieving consistent success in some cases. 

If this thread does nothing else, I would hope that it instills a curiousity into those folks that are blind-sitters to take a different perspective and try the "get-out-there-amongst-'um" tactic to see how that suits them.  Again, I won't condemn those that decide that they would rather use a blind, and there are certainly those that, for whatever reason, need to use them, but I do believe an element of what I consider to be the true thrill of turkey hunting is missed by relying too much on a blind. 

Jim

JPH

Postby JPH » June 3rd, 2010, 9:52 am

ORIGINAL: Gobblerman

Now, now, Joe....take a deep breath there, buddy...[;)]   I understand your fears based on some of the antics we have witnessed on topics like this before, but I do think this discussion has some merit.  ...And we should be able to discuss it with complete civility. 

Sorry, flashbacks.

Good luck guys. I'm out.

shad309

Postby shad309 » June 3rd, 2010, 10:01 am

To each his own [:)]

I just bought one to take my son & daughter out. I never could get them to sit still enough.
It should help me bring one in so that they can witness the awesomness of big gobblers up
close and personal for the first time. Hopefully (fingers crossed) it will get their intrest up even
more for wanting to spend more time in the woods.

On the other hand, I have never used a store bought blind for myself. I have made makeshifts in
the woods when I needed the cover. There have been times I wish I would have had one though!!!

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » June 4th, 2010, 3:14 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

So don't buy one.

Do we really need another thread that pits turkey hunter against turkey hunter based on the LEGAL methods they use to hunt turkeys? I really, really do not want us to start doing this again.

Joe, I totally agree with you!  There are too many other LEGITIMATE complaints about turkey killers (I left the term "hunters" out on purpose) to be arguing about a legal method of hunting turkeys.  
I'm like you and I'm out of this!  I have more important things to do!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 4th, 2010, 6:16 am

So don't buy one.

I don't have anything against anyone using them.  My surprise was the sudden -"they are everywhere this year".  Which aroused my curiosity so I asked-

I own 3 commercial blinds and have experimented hunting with them under a wide range of conditions.  They are just not for me.  However, introducing new hunters to the sport or taking a nonhunter out for a photo hunt blinds are great.  As was pointed out an aged hunter may like them too.  After a long setup I stand up a lot slower myself.

BTW, should anyone or group propose to make them illegal (doubt that would happen) I would fight against such a law.

Hunters should be able to discuss any issue without rudeness or self righteous hissy fits.   I quietly ignore those who can't they will then drift away.  Please notice the disclaimer below my signature.[:)]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Next

Return to Strategies