Decoys Placements

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
WillowRidgeCalls

Decoys Placements

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 30th, 2014, 7:07 pm

For those that use them? Do you set them out in any particular set-ups :?: Do you change your set-ups and decoys during the seasons :?:

In the youth or early opening week of the season, I use as many decoys as I have, 4 hens and 3 gobblers, with the gobblers following the hens.
Later in the season, as the breeding is getting hotter, I'll use my strutting jake and 3 hens, with the hens going to the jake, decoys facing each other.
As the season is getting towards the end of the breeding period and the hens are nesting, I'll use my strutting jake, and 1 breeding hen, with the jake beside her facing the hen.
At the end of the season, the last week, I'll use just a lone feeding hen.

These set-ups have worked very well for me the last 10 years when hunting open fields. In a woods I don't use a decoy unless it's an open pasture. What set-ups and decoys do you all use :?:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Decoys Placements

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 31st, 2014, 8:21 am

I don't use a decoy all that often, but early in the season I'll use a jake and feeding hen. Later I'll use just the hen or just the jake if gobblers are starting to flock back up and are not responding to hen calls anymore.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 31st, 2014, 10:14 am

Any time I have used a decoy I will use a strutting jake and a feeding hen. I have had success with that last year and it was towards the end of the season.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 31st, 2014, 3:14 pm

Put me in with the jake and feeding hen decoy crowd. I usually use decoys about 25% of the time. It has worked well when I put the jake at 45 degree angle facing me about 20-25 yards, slightly to the right in front (I shoot left), so the gobbler gives me a broadside shot. I set the hen closer to me facing about the same direction as the jake to make it look like he's following her and she is comfortable moving my direction. So far, every gobbler has gone to the jake first. It seems like the hens don't pay either decoy much attention. I have passed up a bunch of jakes and subordinate gobblers who tried to stomp that rubber jake's butt. Decoys have helped me tag some pretty good birds, though most of my gobblers have been taken in the woods where I don't use decoys.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 31st, 2014, 4:27 pm

I use a hen decoy myself when I have a tom the wont commit and stay out of range I try to back out quietly and i'll deploy my hen . I think being able to see a hen helps to seal the deal for him to come take a look . some times late in the season when they're hitting the fields i'll add a jake just to rile old tom ......wayne

dewey

Postby dewey » April 1st, 2014, 11:33 pm

So what type of Jake decoy does everyone use? A product name or link would be very helpful.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 2nd, 2014, 6:12 am

My decoys are Deltas (sold under H.S. Strut). I got the feeding hen in 1997 and the jake about 2000. They're not real fancy or as detailed as those sold today, but they do the job. I also bought both for about half of what they charge for more modern decoys. I added a more detailed paint job on them to give a more realistic finish.

About 25 years ago, a guy I know mounted a hen himself to use as a decoy. It really looked pretty rough, but it worked well for him. It got caught out in the rain a time or two, gobblers tried to breed it, and it got beat up a few times. That stuffed hen ended up too close to the pattern from his gun and was damaged beyond repair. It had a good run and helped bring a lot of gobblers to their end. On the downside, It was fragile and a pain to lug around.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 2nd, 2014, 9:21 am

Myself if I'm using only a jake decoy I'm using my Flambeau King Strut (foam) decoy. I add a real jake tail fan and have cut the beard off to 3". I've never had a bird turn away from it, it's an oldie but it's been the death of many a gobbler. H S Struts new Snood decoys are good, so are the Zink decoys, the Delta decoys are good, and so are the Feather Flex, which I've used since back in the mid 90's, they aren't much to look at, but they work just fine. Hunters care what they look like, birds don't.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 2nd, 2014, 5:18 pm

I also have a Flambeau King Strut that I've only used one time so far. It worked like a charm though. It thoroughly pi$$ed off a boss gobbler who had been playing hard to get. Under the cover of a rainy night I was able to slip into his wheelhouse and set it close to his roost. That gobbler hit it so hard that he snapped the stake in two. The fan I had in the decoy flew 15 feet away from where they decoy was placed. That gobbler spurred two holes the diameter of an ink pen into the decoy's side too. It was pretty spectacular. I busted him @ 16 yards about the time he realized that something wasn't quite right. I wish I had it on video.

I made a jake fan for that King Strut using a fan off an adult gobbler I killed last year with the middle feathers left full length and the side feathers cut shorter and glued into a "Your Biggest Fan collapsible fan kit". Once they're glued in place, the fan can be folded up for easy transport. It looks really good. My brother bought me one of those remote controlled motion decoy stakes from the Bass Pro Shops. I thought it was a joke at first, but it really looks pretty good. I'm not sure that I'd spend that much money on such a thing, but it definitely adds realism. It seems to be just another thing to have to carry. Maybe a decoy sherpa is in order?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 2nd, 2014, 6:58 pm

Cut N Run wrote:I also have a Flambeau King Strut that I've only used one time so far. It worked like a charm though. It thoroughly pi$$ed off a boss gobbler who had been playing hard to get. Under the cover of a rainy night I was able to slip into his wheelhouse and set it close to his roost. That gobbler hit it so hard that he snapped the stake in two. The fan I had in the decoy flew 15 feet away from where they decoy was placed. That gobbler spurred two holes the diameter of an ink pen into the decoy's side too. It was pretty spectacular. I busted him @ 16 yards about the time he realized that something wasn't quite right. I wish I had it on video.

I made a jake fan for that King Strut using a fan off an adult gobbler I killed last year with the middle feathers left full length and the side feathers cut shorter and glued into a "Your Biggest Fan collapsible fan kit". Once they're glued in place, the fan can be folded up for easy transport. It looks really good. My brother bought me one of those remote controlled motion decoy stakes from the Bass Pro Shops. I thought it was a joke at first, but it really looks pretty good. I'm not sure that I'd spend that much money on such a thing, but it definitely adds realism. It seems to be just another thing to have to carry. Maybe a decoy sherpa is in order?

Jim

Yep mine is the same way, my stake has been busted twice, so I built a new one, he has more rips and holes in him from getting beat on also. The inside is duct-tape and fishing line from sewing him back up, but he still causes a lot of trouble to those old gobblers. Not sure just why, if it's the shape, or the size, or just what? They sure do come after him though, he's been tore up by Tom's, Jakes, and one crazy hen, she did the most damage to him.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Strategies