Deaf, dumb and blind toms?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
RussM311

Deaf, dumb and blind toms?

Postby RussM311 » March 22nd, 2014, 9:07 pm

This afternoon (opening day in Louisiana), I was set up in a right of way that crosses a hardwood bottom. At about 2 pm, two nice toms eased into the right of way moving from south to north.... they piddled around for a couple of minutes, pecking around and relaxing. I was set up about 100 yds west on the edge of the right of way. The toms never even looked at my decoy..... barely acknowledged the could even hear my calls (one tom would raise his head when I called).... they never made a sound.... and slowly eased away into the forest. I could have understood this attitude if the birds were with hens, but they were the only two birds around. I have been successfully (somewhat) hunting turkeys for about ten years and have never had a tom completely ignore me, but these two acted like I didn't even exist. If they would have covered their ears or something I could have understood... but absolutely nothing. Any ideas as to what the heck was going on with these two?

grizzly

Re: Deaf, dumb and blind toms?

Postby grizzly » March 23rd, 2014, 7:00 am

Russ I have had it happen more then a few times. there could be a reasons for it may be there were hens they were headed for you couldn't see . they may have been mating all morning and just weren't interested. maybe your setup just didn't look right. I learned in all my years of hunting turkeys sometimes they leave you just shaking your head.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 23rd, 2014, 9:51 am

I have had the same thing happen before and understand that it is very frustating. When it happened to me I came to the conclussion of two things.

1. Both birds are subordinate gobblers and have had their butt kicked a few times if they even think of going close to a hen.
2. I wasn't using the right calls to make them interested enough to come over. I believed I got over aggressive with them due to the birds not wanting to come over. They would give me a curtsey half strutt but that was all that they would do.

If I were you I would go back to the same area and setup closer to where the birds were for the next time they came thru. Thats another factor also, you might have been setup in a place that they didn't like to go. That is part of the fun and aggervation of turkey hunting you never know what is going thru that pea size brain. :lol:
Is it turkey season yet?

RussM311

Postby RussM311 » March 23rd, 2014, 11:42 am

Thanks for the replies... I was just about to change my deodorant and mouthwash....lol.

In about an hour from now, I will be sitting under a tree next to a beautiful little creek waiting patiently for more abuse by an animal with a pea sized brain.... :-) But.... this is why we chase them so ardently. What a wonderful life....

Best wishes to all in this season of mayhem and wonder.... I will let you know how they humiliate me today.

Russ

shaman

Postby shaman » March 24th, 2014, 5:33 am

This sound like refugees from my gay turkey herd, although I'm deuced to tell you how they got that far south :)

In case you don't remember, back when I was making live reports from Turkey Camp, we had a glut of jakes one year due to a visit from 17 year cicadas the year before. The next year, 10 gobblers of that cadre set up shop on Gobbler's Knob, about 500 yards from the house. They would go out there and strut for each other all day long. They would chase any hen that came into the field.

You could not call to them. At that age, they were practically unhuntable, but over time they "went straight" and started succumbing.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 24th, 2014, 9:03 am

When I run into birds like that, and I do often, hunting public land, one of your best calls to send them is a KEE or a short WHISTLE. A lot of hunters won't use that call, or don't because it's a fall season call, in the spring young gobblers use it very often, jakes, 2yo, or birds that have gotten their butts kicked by the Boss. It's a greeting call that birds use to test what temp of other more dominant birds. They won't come running to your calls because they already been taught to stay away, and a kee or keeyelp is a greeting call that sub-dominant birds will use. It's just a soft short whistle, not very loud. A human may only be able to hear it say 25 yards, but a bird can hear it at a 100 yds. You said those birds would only stop and raise their head to look, so that tells me they were a sub-dom birds, they knew you were there, but didn't want to get into any more trouble, so they left. The kee or keeyelp is a friendly greeting call, I've had sub-dom birds come into my struter decoy and turn to run off, give them a couple of keeyelps and they stop and turn around and come in. It's telling the bird it want company and is not there to cause trouble.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

RussM311

Postby RussM311 » March 25th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Interesting that you posted what you did. I went back for more punishment, and had a very interesting encounter with a small flock of birds in the same area where the acted so uninterested before. I had set up a feeding hen decoy on the edge of the right of way and called very quietly and sparingly... mostly just clucks and purrs. I caught movement in some brush and out steps two hens about 10 feet from the decoy. One hen walked towards the decoy and stared at it for a minute or so.... she suddenly started putting and dancing in circles...lol. The hens moved away from the decoy and straight into my lap. Now, I am locked down, can't move an inch. So, now the rest of the flock steps out into the right of way about 30 yds away and ease away. The hen starts this real fast series of semi-yelps....over and over again... and herds the flock away. Of course the six toms that were part of the flock (4 jakes and 2 nice birds) were out of range before I could bat an eye. So... by my count it is now the pea brained birds 2 and the advance intelligent human 0..... this is going to be a long season.

BTW... I looked at the Willow Ridge Calls, but could not find a way to purchase? Is there another website?

Thanks

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 25th, 2014, 10:48 pm

sent you a PM.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 26th, 2014, 8:07 am

I would have hit them with some gobbler yelping

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 26th, 2014, 10:05 am

RussM311 wrote:Interesting that you posted what you did. I went back for more punishment, and had a very interesting encounter with a small flock of birds in the same area where the acted so uninterested before. I had set up a feeding hen decoy on the edge of the right of way and called very quietly and sparingly... mostly just clucks and purrs. I caught movement in some brush and out steps two hens about 10 feet from the decoy. One hen walked towards the decoy and stared at it for a minute or so.... she suddenly started putting and dancing in circles...lol. The hens moved away from the decoy and straight into my lap. Now, I am locked down, can't move an inch. So, now the rest of the flock steps out into the right of way about 30 yds away and ease away. The hen starts this real fast series of semi-yelps....over and over again... and herds the flock away. Of course the six toms that were part of the flock (4 jakes and 2 nice birds) were out of range before I could bat an eye. So... by my count it is now the pea brained birds 2 and the advance intelligent human 0..... this is going to be a long season.

BTW... I looked at the Willow Ridge Calls, but could not find a way to purchase? Is there another website?

Thanks

Next time you have a boss hen do that to you, and yes she was the boss hen of that flock, and the boss rules every thing that goes on in that flock, but next time she tries that get after her. When she started putting, you should have cut her off and started cutting loud and proud right back at her. She was there to test you and she whooped your butt bad. Had you got a good hen fight going with her those two big Toms would have came on the run to watch, and put them right in your lap at 5 yds off the hens watching the fight. Never back down from a boss hen, you have to out do her in volume and speed, and yes it does get busy in calling. Had you stood equal to that hen you would of controlled that flock instead of her, they all would have came in to feed with your decoy. In the woods the BOSS HEN rules, not the gobblers.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Strategies