My possible spring strategy...

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Jrhunter25

My possible spring strategy...

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 11th, 2013, 7:46 pm

While reading the NWTF' s spring turkey behaviour post, I realized how dumb I was not realizing it was all about mating. I plan to by a hen decoy and a jake decoy ( cheap ones ) and have it set up as the Jake is trying to "get" ( ;) ) with the hen. I will use a yelp call using misoiltesters' s box call, use treerosters slate call and a diaphragm call, and Charlie elks push button call. I will use the slate call to make some Jake mating sounds, the box call for a yelp, and the push button for which ever ! I will use some #5 shot 12 gauge 2 3/4 " loads ( still deciding on what loads that are cheap to try ) with a full choke. I assume I can make it to about 30 yards with this setup, I want a load with at least 1 1/4 ounces of lead. So what do you think ? I will be wearing camo and a turkey hunting hat, courtesy of misoiltesters. I will be hunting the edge of forest and fields with a surprising wetland area and hardwood forests. If you live in Ohio, then it is Deer Creek, if you don't live in Ohio, then you probably don't know it. It is a wildlife area with a campground, lodge, golf course, and giant lake that is awesome to fish on. Please leave feedback on if you think this is a good idea or not.

P.S. The load I am looking at is the Winchester Super X High Brass Game load in #5 or #6 or# 4 shot. 15$ for a box of 25 from Dicks. I may also get the Remington Express High Brass in the same shot sizes. Both are 2 3/4 " shells with around 1 1/4 ounces of lead and are shooting around 1330 fps. I know these may be a little light, but these are cheap enough.
Last edited by Jrhunter25 on December 11th, 2013, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kygobbler

Re: My possible spring strategy...

Postby kygobbler » December 11th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Because you said that you are 13 right now I'm assuming that an adult will be hunting with you correct? If so, is the person hunting with you know the area very well? If you and the person you are hunting with dont then try and do some scouting before the season starts. Turkey hunting looks very easy on TV and listening to some people's stories but the truth is it can be easy at times but sometimes be a pain in the butt. Sometimes be both on the same hunt. Make sure you practice your calls as much as you can and try and learn as much as you can from the birds because they are the best teachers. :D
Is it turkey season yet?

Jrhunter25

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 11th, 2013, 8:51 pm

kygobbler wrote:Because you said that you are 13 right now I'm assuming that an adult will be hunting with you correct? If so, is the person hunting with you know the area very well? If you and the person you are hunting with dont then try and do some scouting before the season starts. Turkey hunting looks very easy on TV and listening to some people's stories but the truth is it can be easy at times but sometimes be a pain in the butt. Sometimes be both on the same hunt. Make sure you practice your calls as much as you can and try and learn as much as you can from the birds because they are the best teachers. :D

Me and my grandpa camp and fish there every year, it is only 30 minutes from his house. After we fish it is a 10-15 minute drive from the dam to the area. I may also go with a friend of mine and my grandpas ( he is over 18 ) and I think he actually hunts there or near there. I am still looking at areas but so far this is the best.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 11th, 2013, 9:40 pm

I wish you the best of luck and warn you its an addiction that you will not be able to get rid of. :lol:
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 12th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Jrhunter25 wrote:While reading the NWTF' s spring turkey behaviour post, I realized how dumb I was not realizing it was all about mating. I plan to by a hen decoy and a jake decoy ( cheap ones ) and have it set up as the Jake is trying to "get" ( ;) ) with the hen. I will use a yelp call using misoiltesters' s box call, use treerosters slate call and a diaphragm call, and Charlie elks push button call. I will use the slate call to make some Jake mating sounds, the box call for a yelp, and the push button for which ever ! I will use some #5 shot 12 gauge 2 3/4 " loads ( still deciding on what loads that are cheap to try ) with a full choke. I assume I can make it to about 30 yards with this setup, I want a load with at least 1 1/4 ounces of lead. So what do you think ? I will be wearing camo and a turkey hunting hat, courtesy of misoiltesters. I will be hunting the edge of forest and fields with a surprising wetland area and hardwood forests. If you live in Ohio, then it is Deer Creek, if you don't live in Ohio, then you probably don't know it. It is a wildlife area with a campground, lodge, golf course, and giant lake that is awesome to fish on. Please leave feedback on if you think this is a good idea or not.

P.S. The load I am looking at is the Winchester Super X High Brass Game load in #5 or #6 or# 4 shot. 15$ for a box of 25 from Dicks. I may also get the Remington Express High Brass in the same shot sizes. Both are 2 3/4 " shells with around 1 1/4 ounces of lead and are shooting around 1330 fps. I know these may be a little light, but these are cheap enough.

The Win super x will take a bird just fine at 30yds, also concider the Fed prairie strom loads, with the flitecontrol wads and copper coated lead for a better pattern and penetration out of a full choked gun, it may give you a bit longer range?

If your hunt field edges, practice your soft talk until you can do it proficiently, your clucks, purrs, whines, will kill more birds than any other calls. Your yelps, cutts, will attract and get the attention of a bird and let him know your there, but your soft talk will finish him. The biggest trouble with new hunters is that they call to much and to loud, don't worry about how your calling sounds, yes you want to sound great, but it's not that important. Your cadence of your calling is very important, knowing when to pick the speed up or slow it down, will determine if that bird is going to come in or stand there and gobble back at you. If your hunting an open area the less yelping you do the better, you still need to yelp, but keep it in short spirts 1 or 2 yelps, no need for a long series of yelps if there is a bird that is close to your area. If the gobbler is in the field and you can see him and he can see you, if he is coming your way just soft talk him all the way in, do not yelp at him it will stop him. If he turns and starts to go a different way stop him with a couple quick yelps, then go back to your soft talk.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Strategies