dedicated rainy day vest

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
eddie234

dedicated rainy day vest

Postby eddie234 » May 9th, 2013, 9:32 am

I didn't want to hijack the other post. do any of you have a vest and/or calls dedicated to hunting in the rain. I'm a little anal about my "good stuff" getting wet. my vacation request got denied for next weekend so I only have this weekend to hunt before my season is over and it supposed to rain. I don't want to take my good turkey gun out so I figure I'll take my old one that I wont care if it get wet and a mouth call my frog toggs maybe run to wally world and get a wet box.
Twitter: @edvogler

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: dedicated rainy day vest

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 9th, 2013, 2:36 pm

I keep all my calls in plastic bags, boxes and pots/strikers to keep them always dry in my vest. If it's raining or foggy I only take them out to play, then slip them back in to keep the surfaces dry. I set the calls on the bags if the ground is damp. I carry a dry old towel in the truck to wipe guns dry, and spray the inside of my gun case with water proection for tents to keep the case from soaking up any water from a wet gun.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

air leak

Postby air leak » May 9th, 2013, 3:32 pm

I try to keep my calls as dry as possible by only taking them out to call. Back in the vest as soon as I finish.

As far as my shotgun...it's an 870, compost stock, black matte finish. If it gets wet..it's no big deal to me, that's what it's there for..to be used in any weather, rain or snow.

I won't hunt in a heavy rain. A light mist or drizzle isn't bad.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 13th, 2013, 12:46 pm

I use a pop up blind when the weather isn't to my liking. Normally put it out in a good spot and leave it there, figure it is better being in it dry than home on the couch. :lol: :lol:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

shaman

Postby shaman » January 12th, 2014, 12:15 pm

You bring up a good point. I don't wear a vest. I carry a map case. Okay, it's a man purse. However, it is waterproof. When I figure on rain, I take out all my good wooden calls and use calls things like slate and glass pots and lucite and plastic strikers. If it is going to be really raining, I may just take mouth calls.

The past few years, if it is really going to pour down I head for one of my luxury deer shacks.

My shotgun is all painted in Krylon, so it holds up really well in rain.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Return to Strategies