close calling

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
scratchnpurr

close calling

Postby scratchnpurr » April 14th, 2013, 9:51 am

I'm having issues this season with keeping a birds interest. I can get them answering with a little cutting and yelping, and get them moving to me, even from fairly long distances, but once within 100 yards they seem to be losing interest and moving away, still answering me. That's the frustrating part, they still respond to my calling but will come no closer. I can turn them around and pull them back only to have the same thing happen. There's no fence or creek in the way, it's open woods in north Georgia, well as open as it gets. The area is off an open field, with a 100-200 yard region of open pines before it drops off into a creek bottom full of hardwoods. I've set up in the creek bottom, on the edge of the hardwoods and on the edge of the field, same problem. I'm not yelping at him once he's on the way just clucking and purring from time to time, they are having nothing to do with it. I'm not being seen and I'm not spooking the birds, that I can tell.

This is in contrast to the first two weeks where my hunting partner and I were bringing in birds almost close enough to touch, we kept whoever was calling about 30 yards back from the shooter. We've tried moving once the bird answers and starts our way, moving away from him or to one side or the other, going dead silent for an hour or more, you name it we've tried it.

This is happening mid-day, not just off the roost. I'd tell myself it was hens if it was early but this is a bird answering after 10 and they should be on the way from the deeper woods to the field for a few bugs, which is what I'm seeing them do when I'm not trying to bring one to me.

What changes can I make to my calling to possibly get these birds to walk that last 50 yards? or to stay interested?

Thanks.
Last edited by scratchnpurr on April 14th, 2013, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maineute

Re: close calling

Postby maineute » April 14th, 2013, 12:40 pm

I am no expert by any means but I had something similar to this happen to me and I had someone tell me to use a Jake decoy. I went out and bought one. I got the gobbler entered the field and saw him on that dominant pose the tom charged it and ran it down, fastest I have ever seen a turkey move. I shot so fast I was worried he was going tosee it was not real and fly off. I tried it another time with the same results. Sometimes they are fighters and not lovers.
One other thing to think about is that a Tom is use to the hen coming to be bred, not chasing the girl. I dont know why I added that.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 14th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Maineute makes a good point, if that bird can see 70 yards and doesn't see something they get skittish even birds that aren't hunted very much. Read the post *How Tough You Think* it's a couple below this. There are some good points in it on what your asking about. In Calling section there are audio files on different calls in the Turkey School posts to learn some of the calls. Hope these help you out?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

scratchnpurr

Postby scratchnpurr » April 15th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Those are great posts in the calling section. Thanks for pointing me that way.

Return to Strategies