How tough you think?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
spitten and drummen

How tough you think?

Postby spitten and drummen » April 2nd, 2013, 7:14 pm

Hey everyone. I hunt very high pressured birds here in south west mississippi on public land. A quick question. I worked a bird this morning for 3-1/2 hrs and he skunked me. Worked him from bout 300 yards out and like most of these birds he took his time getting there. By the time he made it the wind had picked up just enough to cover his drumming and walking. Most of my birds drift in slightly left or right and I had picked my set up where he would be in range when he showed. He pulled a fast one and eased in behind a good sized downed log that was extremely thick. I had my gun on my knee where I could cover the semi open ridge that would have been nice easy clean walking but he took the nasty route. Go figure. Anyway I caught the white crown out of the corner of my eye. Was no way I was gonna get the drop on him. He surveyed the surrounding 15 sec. Pulled his head back behind the tree and I made the 30 degree move to be on him.he walked away with the tree in between him and me and the next time I saw him he was about 75 yds going away. My question is do you think that he will be callable later or did I just make him unresponve to my particular call. For instance I was using a box call. When he hears that particular box call again do you think he will just ignore it knowing the last time he walked to that hen there wasn't one there. Thanks
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

ylpnfol

Re: How tough you think?

Postby ylpnfol » April 2nd, 2013, 7:53 pm

IMO yes, you didn't shoot at him, and if I read it right, he didn't see you. He just left. Maybe don't call from exactly the same spot next time, and/or use another call or sequence of calls, but I wouldn't not hunt him again. Hopefully his urge to mate will get the best of him, and he'll present you with a shot....
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 2nd, 2013, 9:05 pm

Keep after him, he'll still be interested. Just need to catch him in the right mood.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 3rd, 2013, 2:45 am

I believe you can still call him in again. Depending on how much calling you did you might want to try another call. If you get in the same situation, as having a fallen tree in the way, try scratching the leaves a little or some soft purring and maybe he will come around for you.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 3rd, 2013, 3:56 am

Had a similar situation on opening morning this year. Worked the bird for 2 hours, he slipped in and out exactly the same as you described. I left him alone for 2 weeks and believe he is the one we killed this past weekend. I came around from a different direction to the area he was on opening day. I used a different call, and he was flopping within 10 minutes of us sitting down.
South Carolina Low Country

retranger

Postby retranger » April 3rd, 2013, 6:39 am

All the above plus probably a little more. IMO you did nothing wrong,,,,go back and get him. Thats turkey hunting. Have fun ,,,,, good luck.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 3rd, 2013, 9:43 am

In a couple days that bird will work for you again with that same call, as long as he didn't bust you or you spooked him away. When that bird was coming in, was he silent or was he gobbling ever so often? If that bird gobble when he was close to you, then he was looking for you and couldn't find you, he knew you were there but couldn't see a hen. I'm guessing that you only yelped and clucked at him? Once you have a bird coming and he's coming straight at you, there is no need to ever yelp at him, he knows were you are and he's coming. If he starts to angle then give him a couple quick short yelps, that tells that bird he's going the wrong way and needs to get back in the direction he was coming. If the bird is within 70 yards then just cluck and purr, or whines or keeyelps, scratching the leaves, so he knows that your still there even though he can't see you. Learn what calls to give him to close the deal, if all your doing is yelping at that bird, that tells hin your a hunter and not a hen. Real birds don't yelp to a gobbler coming towards them that they can see, they get excited and will call faster and short little calls in a high pitched sound. If your hunting high preasured birds, "It's Very Important" that you learn what calls to give them, how much calling you give them and most important the volume your calling with, if that bird is 50 yards or less and you can hear your calls your too loud, call very softly!!! If that bird turns to leave, that's when you blast him with volume and fast yelps, or a short series of cutts, that tells him "Where You Going I'm Over Here. Learn to control the volume of your calls, if your using box calls then put your fingers up on the rails and pinch it to tone it down, if your running pot calls hold it down on your leg, if your using mouth calls keep you mouth shut when calling, if your using a push-pin put your finger on the screw on the bottom of the call, that tones it way down. High preasured birds are very touchy to volume and the amount of calls you give them.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 3rd, 2013, 11:53 am

Scott. Thanks for the reply. He gobbled a little all the way in. Most of the time once they commit I'm done calling. Once every 15 min or so I give a couple light clucks to keep him interested. As far as calling the yelp and soft clucks has killed me plenty of birds. Growing up hunting national Forrest I learned the soft stuff works for me. I carry several different calls and change the calls in my vest periodically during season. After 30 years of chasing them they still skunk me time to time. I figured that he would be callable again but my main question was what everyone thought on doing it with the same call. Thanks again for the replies
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

dewey

Postby dewey » April 3rd, 2013, 1:05 pm

Great post Scott! I am going to start calling you the turkey whisperer.

I know I have been trying to work on understanding what call to use and when to use it so this post is very informative for me.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 3rd, 2013, 2:17 pm

More times than not those older educated birds will do just that, they put a tree between you and them when the leave, because they have the abillity to pin-point you so fine it's scarry. One call that works great on those public preasured birds is a kee kee, if that bird starts to hang up a bit or locks up on you, it's worked very well for me. Another call that worked very well is the keeyelp, it's a very soft call that birds use as a welcome call that birds do as they get close to each other, you can't hear it but about 25 yards away, it works great on roosted birds also. Sometimes those birds are just mule headed too whatever calls you give them, but the soft talk seems to work better then the louder calling most of the time? Although sometimes you can't get enough sound out of your call, even on birds that are 30 yards out, they just want that type of calling? Loud raspy sounding call will sometimes make them come running to your setup.

dewey, some birds require a mix of calls, with some soft and some louder, a good verity of sounds with different tones, pitches, and volumes. The more you change up the better it works on most birds.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Strategies