How to Talk to Hens???

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
kenturkey89

How to Talk to Hens???

Postby kenturkey89 » January 7th, 2011, 9:36 am

I was watching a turkey hunting show on the outdoor channel this afternoon and the theme of the show was henned up gobblers. All of the "pro's" on the show said that when they encounter a responsive gobbler that's not willing to leave his ladies, they start calling to the hens to see if they can lure in the big boy instead...but none of them explained how to do so. So my question is, when you have a bird that's talkative but not leaving his hens, is there a different technique you use to call to the boss hen, and if so what is it? I understand there are a lot of different ways to approach this situation but I wanted to know when you're calling to the hens, are you trying to sounds raspy, clear, loud, soft, etc...?
Brian

eggshell

RE: How to Talk to Hens???

Postby eggshell » January 7th, 2011, 10:09 am

Well the series that usually works best for me goes like this (translated into turkey talk): Hey you fat A## skanky B&^%$, I'm gonna put a lovin on yo man that will curl his beard and he ain't even gonna sniff you're greasy A## again....if you think you can do anything bout it com-on over and I'll jerk yo skanky tail feathers off.  Besides you can't even lay an egg without breakin it, you fool. 

It has to have that cheap hillbilly trash tone too. In comparison, when you're calling to the boys you say. Hey big boy,  what a hunk of turkey flesh, how about you bring that big ole tool over to my place and we'll see if we can wear the end off it! I learned that call series from a southern lady, said it works every time on those Georgia boys.

If you have heard a lot of loud hen calling it's probably older hens so challenge her dominance. In other words, get sassy with them. Hard clucks and cuts and fast yelp runs. A fast hard purr or two thrown in help. If they been real quiet then go soft and just barely yelp and soft short purrs, comfort calls. So they will just come to be together.

shad309

Postby shad309 » January 7th, 2011, 10:18 am

Eggshell, that just cracked me up [:D]

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 7th, 2011, 1:12 pm

That couldn't have been said ANY better. LMAO!!
ORIGINAL: eggshell

Well the series that usually works best for me goes like this (translated into turkey talk): Hey you fat A## skanky B&^%$, I'm gonna put a lovin on yo man that will curl his beard and he ain't even gonna sniff you're greasy A## again....if you think you can do anything bout it com-on over and I'll jerk yo skanky tail feathers off.  Besides you can't even lay an egg without breakin it, you fool. 

It has to have that cheap hillbilly trash tone too. In comparison, when you're calling to the boys you say. Hey big boy,  what a hunk of turkey flesh, how about you bring that big ole tool over to my place and we'll see if we can wear the end off it! I learned that call series from a southern lady, said it works every time on those Georgia boys.

If you have heard a lot of loud hen calling it's probably older hens so challenge her dominance. In other words, get sassy with them. Hard clucks and cuts and fast yelp runs. A fast hard purr or two thrown in help. If they been real quiet then go soft and just barely yelp and soft short purrs, comfort calls. So they will just come to be together.
South Carolina Low Country

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » January 7th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Haha...Well said eggshell![:D]
Brian

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » January 7th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Dana,

That is one of the funniest, I mean informative tips I have ever read. This is a classic buddy..........My hats off to you on this one!

And you're right about the southern technique....but you have to do it just right or they'll hang up
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 7th, 2011, 3:55 pm

[:D] What Dana said is right on the target you have to kind of feel them out. BUT, I like to push it a little, I'll throw a couple of excited calls in with the soft stuff. Nothing loud but just a little more excited, feel them out. If the boss hen starts to get bossy and speaks up, don't back down, copy her word for word, tone for tone, speed for speed, you better have your fighting gloves on because it's going to get hot and heavy calling. If the Tom is cutting her calls off, your not keeping up with her, if he's cutting you off you've got the upper hand and you can expect a visit by both her and the Tom. If your soft calling and the boss speaks up and you keep soft calling then she just put you in your place and she'll take that Tom and be gone. Any time you can work a boss hen, you just upped your odds of success, because she is exactly that, The Boss.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » January 7th, 2011, 4:41 pm

Thanks for all this input so far, guys. One of the reasons I asked this question was because Brian Lovett posted "20 Turkey Tips in 20 Days" during last Spring season and tip #14 was Asking Acceptance, which basically entailed soft calling and avoiding raspy calls that could lead to negative reactions from hens. But I know from experience that this doesn't always work as I've been left calling to my decoys many times because a hen has taken a tom away from me. If I do encounter this very situation this spring, I plan on being a little more sassy to see if I can aggravate her enough to come in for a fight...only I'll be holding a 12 ga.
Brian

longbeard.386

Postby longbeard.386 » January 9th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Brother, it depends on the phase the hen is in. In early season Eggshell's tirade is a sure fire hen magnet. Get the boss hen ticked and she'll come in to do battle. Early in the season the hens are still settling scores and trying out of the dominant role in the flock. Middle and end of phase (late into egg laying and sitting on the nest) and you'll scare hens away with aggressive talk. I've had hens that would shy away from a decoy late in the season, even without calling. When Brian was speaking of soft calling (to hens) I believe he was speaking of late season hens. deat the drum for the early season hens!
Eggshell, you kiss yo momma wid that mouth! Shame! (LOL-HA!)
Longbeard.386
"Remember, you're never too old to have a happy childhood."

eggshell

Postby eggshell » January 9th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Longbeard.386,

I hope you realize that "Tirade" was only in fun to show the attitude one's calling should reflect and for a little levity. Maybe I should of thought more about how it would represent me. If it offended you I apologize.

As a God fearing man I am not that crude in life, but I still think it was a colorful metaphor as to how to call to challenge a old hen. I've lived the rough life and the righteous life and I'll stand on the side of my lord Jesus when the chips are down. However, a little of the old man shows through at times and I'm not sure that is all bad, it keeps me humble.

Next

Return to Strategies