Do you use a chair, stool, vest, or some combination of the above?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
spottedwolf

RE: Do you use a chair, stool, vest, or some combination of the above?

Postby spottedwolf » October 26th, 2010, 12:18 pm

A few years back I made a camo bucket I use just for turkey (or deer)hunting.
Sometimes however,I do just go and sit next to a big oak(or whatever).
But yeah,since I like to bowhunt,yeah I do like to use the bucket.
There is a place for all God's creatures;right next to the mashed potatoes & gravy!

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » October 26th, 2010, 12:33 pm

I like to be comfortable, but if I get too comfortable I go right to sleep. I don't mind sleeping, but I'm out to hunt. Ha! HA!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 26th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Something has happened since the spring. I've been hunting for the past 3 days and I've never been so uncomfortable. I've usually been able to sit on even hard ground for a long time but not this year! I've used a stool, a cushion from a vest and also a really thick foam seat but sitting still has been almost impossible. The scales say I weigh about the same but some of my "padding" must have shifted.

I'm now looking for something that will work and allow me to sit still longer.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » October 28th, 2010, 2:13 am

Check into a Gobbler Lounger, Clark. It will make hunting more comfortable for you. I had the same issues, they just hit me sooner than they did you. I have a terribly bad back and it kills me to sit on the ground for long periods of time. A chair helps more than I can say.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... er+lounger

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » December 6th, 2010, 7:55 am

Jim, Ditto on the Gobbler Lounger! I will even empty half of my turkey vests contents before leaving the truck without the GL. And thats a lot of stuff!! One thing that I have changed with using the seat is I don't sit too close to a tree. That way you can swing your gun 360 degrees and shoot either handed without foilage interference. Good luck and Good hunting, joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » December 11th, 2010, 2:47 am

I'll cast another vote for the gobblelounger!
Clark, you have to get one! There is nothing that comes even close for being able to sit for extended periods of time in the turkey woods. Your back doesn't hurt, your legs don't fall asleep, and you can stay longer, and won't figit at the moment of truth!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

longbeard.386

Postby longbeard.386 » December 21st, 2010, 4:47 pm

Cut N Run,
I used to be a purist. I thought I was a real wuss when I started using a cushion. Then last year the WMA I hunt here in Central Florida had water covering it. You didn't walk to your hunt, you waded. So, I bought a web stool that I could throw over my shoulder. It kept my butt out of the water so long as I was sitting next to a tree. This spring looks pretty dry if the trends continue. However, I'm now totally spoiled. I wouldn't think about going without my stool. It really helps keep your legs from going to sleep. I think one of the reasons that turkey hunting is a loner sport is that we're too embaressed about falling on our faces when we try to stand up after sitting on a cypress knee for hours. If you're more comfortable you can sit still longer and sitting still is paramount.
Regards,
Longbeard.386
"Remember, you're never too old to have a happy childhood."

Longbeard.386

MrCritterKiller

Postby MrCritterKiller » January 1st, 2011, 2:03 pm

The Gobbler Lounger and a vest with a seat both come with me...the vest with seat in case I need to quickly chase a bird, the chair when I need to wait them out. For example, hunting during the last Wisconsin period, the birds were completely uncallable. I finally got a tom by camping out over field where I had seen birds. Took me five hours of watching, but I got one.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 1st, 2011, 9:45 pm

I have to agree, the gobbler lounger is great. I got one for xmas this year and its still setup in my living room. I cant wait to try it out in the woods. Happy hunting to all.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » January 4th, 2011, 6:24 pm

I use a vest with a good cushion. I pack light but I like to have what I might need with me and organized.

A slate, crystal, 3 strikers,and 2 boxes are at the core of it all with a few misc items depending on where I am
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies