Do you use a chair, stool, vest, or some combination of the above?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
60turkey

RE: Do you use a chair, stool, vest, or some combination of the above?

Postby 60turkey » September 24th, 2010, 2:34 am

I use my turkey vest pad also. I have one of those small,short leg seat, but it's just another thing to carry.  

poult

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 24th, 2010, 11:11 am

When I started this never ending game ( no complaints 'bout that ) I too just parked my hindquarters anywhere I could , or needed to . Then I move on up to a vest with a cushion on it . Da' gum convenient I do admit . Plenty of pockets , and I felt I had to fill each one . Well my spine , right up to the base of my skull just won't allow me to sit for more than 30 -40 minutes in the traditional style at the stump end of a tree . We all know that comfort is essential to remain perfectly STILL.
 I can last longer , and be still better on my feet , providing there's a good tree lean against .  But , there is another route I have chosen and used it this past spring a few times with good results . I have a tri-fold stool that enables me to get right up against most trees where I can lean against the tree as well as break up my outline . The stool comes with a nylon bag with a drawstring . I sewed some 1 inch wide black nylon straps to the bag . One is sewed on both top and bottom , the other is sewed to the top and near the bottom I sewed in a loop with one of those plastic buckles like is on the vests . Another short piece of strapping is sewed to the bag with the mating half of the buckle . It weighs just over a pound and is a heck of a lot easier to get on and off than the vest .
 It has never caused me any inconvenience in the woods . All of the weight is distributed equally on my shoulders and the bag rides comfortably in the middle of my back .
  There's more than one way to skin a cat . Whatever suits you personally and enables you to be comfortable is something we each have to figure out for ourselves . Not everyone has a wore out spine as well as not everyone is young any more either .

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » September 25th, 2010, 3:22 am

I use a HS Strut folding leg seat with a bun saver cushion on it.  I sit pretty comfortable for long periods of time and I have no problem setting up with it at all.  Over the years, those tree roots and rocks and stones seem to leave an impression where I don't want it.  Anyway, it works for me and I am comfortable and that is all that matters. Choice is a beautiful thing. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 25th, 2010, 6:49 am

This is a subject that I wrestle with most seasons. I like to be as light as possible. I wear a vest but really only because I can put a turkey in the bag on the back. I put a few shells in it, maybe a granola bar and now that's about all.

The first few days of the season, I usually just sit on the ground next to a tree or whatever will give me some cover. As the season progresses, I may take some sort of cushion or even a "low boy" stool that's very light and easy to carry. It seems to help my bones that get sore after a few days of hunting and I'm able to sit still longer.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

limbhanger

Postby limbhanger » September 25th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Comfort means everything, when you're trying to be a bush, I prefer a camp style fold up chair,and a 10 or 12 foot strip on camo netting. They both fit in a back pack along with anything else that might make the sit more enjoyable. Lets face it, sometimes the sits can be long and lonely, but the rewards are worth it. Good luck!

IssaquahBob

Postby IssaquahBob » September 27th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Cut N Run - I just got back from opening weekend of our WA early Fall season and found this thread interesting. I used to use just a vest cushion but I had a hip replaced this spring (kept me out of the Spring hunt) and noticed this weekend that sitting on the ground, even with the cushion, is not near as comfortable as it used to be. Back at camp we have an old wooden chair and I sat in it that evening and thought something of this height but lightweight and in camo would be great. So now I am on the lookout for something of that nature. I tried both of my dove hunting chairs when I got home but both are a bit shorter than that wooden camp chair (yea, I forgot to measure the height of the wooden chair while at camp). If anyone out there has any suggestions, appreciate hearing from you. IssaquahBob

natman

Postby natman » September 28th, 2010, 6:59 am

ORIGINAL: IssaquahBob

Cut N Run - I just got back from opening weekend of our WA early Fall season and found this thread interesting. I used to use just a vest cushion but I had a hip replaced this spring (kept me out of the Spring hunt) and noticed this weekend that sitting on the ground, even with the cushion, is not near as comfortable as it used to be. Back at camp we have an old wooden chair and I sat in it that evening and thought something of this height but lightweight and in camo would be great. So now I am on the lookout for something of that nature. I tried both of my dove hunting chairs when I got home but both are a bit shorter than that wooden camp chair (yea, I forgot to measure the height of the wooden chair while at camp). If anyone out there has any suggestions, appreciate hearing from you. IssaquahBob

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_175-3-0

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... m23&Go.x=0

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... m23&Go.x=0

And finally for the last word in comfort:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=643410

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » October 3rd, 2010, 4:35 pm

being new to turkey hunting I have a question.... I found a blaze orange heat seat cushion at a yardsale for a dollar.... it works great as far as the heating part... but was wondering if anyone knows how comfy they are after three hours of sitting on them? and also if clipping it to the back of my belt while walking in and out of the woods sounds like a good idea? Also... i know not part of this thread but figured i would ask anyways... what would you reccommend using to alert other hunters that may be in your area to your presence but not alerting the turkey at the same time... someone told me to tie some orange construction tape to a tree above me? is this a good reccomendation? or is there any other ideas that work better... thanks... jay[:)]

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » October 4th, 2010, 3:25 am

I use the most comfortable chair I can find, one of those "chairs in a bag" ...
Given the fact that I use archery gear a pop up blind is the only way I hunt, besides hows a guy supposed to get any sleep out there if your not comfortable!
In todays world of technology someone needs to work on a system that sends a signal to my cell phone (on vibrate mode of course) that wakes me up when a turkey is approching my set up. Here in WI were birds are pressured they come in silent using there eyes & ears insted. I have found that I can close my eyes and fall into a heightend sence of awarness by "watching with my ears". I think most of you who have spent time in the woods after dark know what I mean. I listen very carefuly to every noise that I hear and wait quietly for the sound of footsteps or wingbeats, hen talk ect. We all tend to way over call, to many turkey videos. This way you are not overcalling, one or two small series every 45/60 min is my general rule. Until we get one fired up of course...

I get up at 4 am all week when I'm not turkey hunting, so when 2/3 am rolls around during 2/3/4 weeks of turkey season I need a nap ! Besides once I shoot one, I don't have an excuse to to go huntin any more that week...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

TreeTrunkNarcoleptic

Postby TreeTrunkNarcoleptic » October 18th, 2010, 5:34 pm

I have a vest but I don't particularly like using it. I carry a pot / peg in a cargo pocket of my pants, a mouthcall in my cheek and a trumpet around my neck. On a windy day I might also carry a box call in my other cargo pocket. I have a cushion that I made from some heavy foam rubber about 2" thick. I cut a slot in it and I can hang it off the back of my belt, but usually I just carry it in my hand.
"You can't grill it 'till you kill it."

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies