For you southern boys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
kygobbler

RE: For you southern boys

Postby kygobbler » February 22nd, 2011, 3:29 am

Hey 1Morgan, what are you calling banana spiders? Do they have a yellow body, black legs, and about 4" long?
Is it turkey season yet?

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 22nd, 2011, 5:42 am

In my part of KY, the only thing I really have to worry about are the ticks and mosquitos, and the DEET I use does a pretty good job of keeping them away. KY is home to 3 venomous snakes: the rattlesnake, cotton mouth, and the copper head. I've never seen any of these snakes in all of the years I've been out in the woods so I don't really worry about them. I'm like dewey, though, I'm sure glad I don't have to worry about running into alligators and hogs in the wee morning hours. We do have quite a few coyotes that run around here but I've never had any type of encounter like the one Rob described. I will say this though, there's nothing scarier than sitting under a tree in the pitch dark waiting for sunrise, and you hear a group of coyotes howling at about 100 yards off. Happened to me twice last year and I about wet myself both times!
Brian

wseested

Postby wseested » February 22nd, 2011, 5:47 am

Carefully. Wear some thick boots and check the ground before you park it under your tree. We get copperheads and timber rattlesnakes here in Maryland, but I think the deer ticks and coyotes scare me more than snakes. We also get brown recluse spiders, which are extremely nasty.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » February 22nd, 2011, 6:00 am

Yea, that's them, with the zig-zag in their web. I forget what they are actually called. Creepy things, body is as fat as your thumb.

ORIGINAL: kygobbler

Hey 1Morgan, what are you calling banana spiders? Do they have a yellow body, black legs, and about 4" long?
South Carolina Low Country

retranger

Postby retranger » February 24th, 2011, 4:01 am

Well fellows I think I will stay up north and try for another northern New York slam. Don't have to worry about anything but maybe a few black flies if spring happens to come early.[:)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 24th, 2011, 6:33 am

Hey 1Morgan, sounds to me you are scared to death of them. I got a couple here at my house and I think they are cool as all get out. If you can get your nerve up take a stick and slowly get it close to the spider and watch his reaction. He will start vibrating that web to death, the closer you get the faster and harder he will get. I do understand how you don't like them because my wife is the same way with spiders and ticks.

Hey Brian, have you ever heard a bobcat in the dark while in the woods. They will scare the crap out of you definately when its all dark, quiet and peacefully and then that "woman scream" comes blasting out 20 yards behind you. Now I have never seen one in the wild but I have heard them.
Is it turkey season yet?

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » February 24th, 2011, 11:37 am

Not a spider fan at all. If it weren't for turkeys, I would never go into the spring woods.
South Carolina Low Country

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 24th, 2011, 11:56 am

Kygobbler, I've never seen or heard a bobcat where I hunt. I know there's a few around because I've had a buddy or two kill one before, but the only predator I see running around are coyotes.
Brian

RoanokeGbblr

Postby RoanokeGbblr » February 24th, 2011, 12:47 pm

A durn bobcat scream will pure make you pucker.  Creepy stuff, have only heard it twice.  Wouldn't mind if I never do again.  

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » February 26th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Nats and bugs are the ultimate nuisance..Especially when u have a longbeard coming and he is just out of sight or gun range and you cant move a muscle and these pest are buzzing in your ears or around your face I think their immune to bug spray...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies