scouting

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Scouting

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 24th, 2009, 11:58 am

Mark time heals all wounds. I should have made my post nondenominational so we could leave our vehicular preferences out of this discussion. Where all in this thing together no matter what make we chose to drive. Mark if you choose to drive a Ford I will still be there to support you brother.[:)]
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 24th, 2009, 2:31 pm

well feller,,,,i appreciate your integrity . i was just funnin' , yet your real character shines through.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 25th, 2009, 4:34 am

Mark sorry I was just trying to teasing you back. my post sounds as I may have taken offense to your post now that I read mine back. I but I took no offense what so ever at your post at all.  I thought your post was a good clean jab at me and I tried to jab back and missed apparently. Sorry for the miscommunication on my part.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 25th, 2009, 11:48 am

i was just foolin' around ,,,,waiting on OPENING DAY

''old school turkey tactics''

sputterbug

Postby sputterbug » March 26th, 2009, 5:41 am

Be sure to put the window down on the truck door before you remove it, makes it easier to carry.  I like the sound of my Tundra truck door best... one of the back passenger doors.  It's black -- will that work, or should I spray it camo?  [:D]
"It is unlikely you will become arrogant about your skills, because wild turkey gobblers do not tolerate arrogance." -Spring Turkey Hunting, John McDaniel

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 26th, 2009, 6:04 am

Sputterbug if you paint it camo just be careful where you set it down or you may have a hard time finding it again.

hunter1

scouting

Postby hunter1 » March 6th, 2010, 6:41 am

when is the best time to pattern turkeys. Would it be better in the am. or pm. Would a crow call be best to use. walking or stick to the roads.Pine forrest or oak stands .
He who dares, Wins

swpatrkyhunter

RE: scouting

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 8th, 2010, 3:15 am

a.m. and p.m.! Even if where you live you can't afternon hunt it is a good idea to know the birds activities in both a.m and p.m. For instance. Lets say your hunting a bird thats coming in to you and he hangs up for whatever reason then changes direction. He might have got spooked by a leaf or some other movement that your not aware of. Chances are he will take a route he is familier with from his afternoon travels. It all has to do with the turkeys comfort level. Knowing the areas and routes the birds are comfortable with will serve you well when things go awry during a hunt. If you can hunt in the afternoon then knowing the return routes to the roost will become critical.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

wseested

RE: scouting

Postby wseested » March 21st, 2010, 1:24 pm

Hey Hunter1, I actually just got in from doing some scouting at my favorite public hunting grounds. As for time, I try to get out in the morning at least before 10, but it doesn't matter all that much really because I will stay out there for several hours. I bring my crow call and a small box call, using the crow call 95% of the time and even using that very sparingly. The last thing you want is to sound like a parade making its way through the woods. Basically, my opinion on calls and scouting is that you can learn more from what is right under your feet than you can by what you "might" hear a couple hundreds of yards away. My scouting today is a great example. I covered miles of ground and never heard a single gobble. However, I did see a lot of fresh footprints and ground scrape marks from their foraging. I know those birds are there, and despite not hearing any gobbles, that's where I'm going when the season opens on April 19th. So if you do decide to go out and scout using a crow call, don't count an area out just because you don't hear anything. You very well might be passing up a great spot. It's kinda like fishing... just because you don't get a bite doesn't mean fish aren't there. Lastly, as for staying in the truck or getting out and walking around, I get out and walk. I don't hunt from my truck or right near the road, so I know I need to get out and in the woods to be productive. Good luck to you!

Previous

Return to Strategies