scouting

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
bomonster

RE: Scouting

Postby bomonster » February 22nd, 2009, 3:13 pm

When I get bored I'll do not really scouting but maybe just a walk around the woods, just to check for fresh signs. Had alittle snow cover and wind chill around 0 to +5 did see quite a few deer but no turkey, but the signs are there.

Snedley

Postby Snedley » February 27th, 2009, 10:57 am

O.K. back to scouting. I like to do my walking around scouting shortly after the season goes out. I'll walk to spots where I heard birds during the season and see if there's anything there that might help me the next year. During the season and just prior to it I do my scouting by just visiting favorite listening spots and do just that ...Listen.

On the days I've been lucky enough to kill one early I'll ride around and scout the hunters. Just to see where everyone else is hunting. Sometimes I'll park close by and just listen and remember the spot for later hunts. Other times I'll just make a mental note and keep driving. Sometimes you'll see these same hunters at a local store or at the checking station and if you just stand around a little while more often than not they'll tell someone the story of their days hunt and tell what they heard or saw.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 27th, 2009, 1:10 pm

I do alot of scouting in season too.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » March 23rd, 2009, 6:39 am

Well I finally found a good Owl locator call (thanks Hooks!) and crow call and hit the woods Saturday morning in earnest..trying to locate birds.  I went to every high spot aboard that parcel (its 12000 acres), hooting and cawing and did not hear a single bird.  I did find tracks (a few days old) in a couple areas but nothing really substantial so i'm not sure if they are being tight lipped right now or I'm just in the wrong areas, or I did something wrong?  It was a nice day albeit a cold morning (25 degrees in Jersey) but got up to about 50 by noon.  I still have one other area I want to check out next weekend, but the season is a little less than a month away so maybe its too early to expect activity?  One question i do have, I pretty much stopped using the owl call after sunrise and switched to the crow call...was that the right thing to do?

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 23rd, 2009, 7:23 am

Deano Z It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to me. Sometimes the birds are just tight lipped for reasons unknown to me. As far as Owl Hoots after sunrise as a rule of thumb I think most guys do switch to a crow or some other caller Hawk, Woodpecker what have ya. I have heard Owl's hooting on there own all times of the day so I wouldn't rule out hooting after sun up. Your trying to get a shock response from the birds so don't rule out anything. They will gobble at all kinds of loud noises at times such as planes, trains and automobiles. If the crow calls and the owl hoots don't work you mite get yourself a truck door and carry it through the woods and slam it from time to time.[:)] JK Hey that mite be the next thing on the market the Primos Truck Door. Your choice of Chevy Dodge Ford or import.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » March 23rd, 2009, 12:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback Ozarks...I figured that was the case...I took the truck door of its hinges so I'll try that next time [;)]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 23rd, 2009, 1:14 pm

hey OZARK,
you might should check your encyclopedia ,,,i don't think chevy and dodge make trucks . but i guess 'bout any door will work ,,,maybe.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 24th, 2009, 4:21 am

Ouch Mark that hurts.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 24th, 2009, 4:57 am

I HAVE THREE PLACES THAT I DO SCOUT OUT AND THE TURKEYS WILL BE THEIR BUT I JUST LIKE GOING OUT AND HEAR THOSE BIRDS GROBBLE AT FIRST LIGHT.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 24th, 2009, 11:26 am

ozark ,,,you still hurtin' ? sorry 'bout that .

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies