3" vs 3 1/2" Pros and Cons

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
shaman

RE: 3" vs 3 1/2" Pros and Cons

Postby shaman » January 15th, 2010, 1:29 am

I've never been a fan of 3.5" 12 GA.  I'm big.  I can take recoil, but anytime I start smelling my own blood, I know what I'm shooting is overkill.   I also hunted for years with 2.75" 12 GA and even 16 GA-- 3" was an improvement, but not all that much. 

Last year, I bagged a gobbler at 40 yards.  That is probably the longest range I've ever taken a bird.   I'm not against taking longer shots.  It's just that, between the birds and the terrain, it's hard to get many long shots in my woods.   This just happened to be a set-up that covered a narrow open pasture.  I had expected the bird to come out on my side of the pasture, and he came out on the other.  Bottom line: Most of the shots presented to me over my lifetime have been in close, well within 20 yards. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2010, 5:51 pm

The longer you hunt them the less you need....

When I first started I had a flock of decoys, every call you could think of, 3 1/2 in nitro shells guaranteed to knock um down at 70 paces, turkey vest, and although I hate to admit it I did something I never thought I would do and tried a red dot scope....on a shotgun lol.

The scope lasted until the man who taught me to hunt turkeys looked at me like I was nuts, the decoys have been long gone, shedded the vest a few years back along with the 3 1/2 in shell. The past few years we have gotten close enough to grab on a couple of occasions but I will probably keep the 3 in shell anyway just because it patterns well in my gun.

But the answer to your question is, if you killing birds within 40 yards you don't have to have a 3 1/2 in shell to do that with.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2010, 5:53 pm

sry posted twice
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

onpoint

Postby onpoint » February 15th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Started missing birds because I flinched wit 3 1/2. Now shoot winchester 3 extended range
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

onpoint

Postby onpoint » February 15th, 2010, 5:24 pm

An addendum to my prior comment: The Winchester load I changed to is the 3" mag "Supreme Elite". Great load, ya'll ought to try it. The reason the flinch was so important is that I hunt Kansas every year the misses were on gobblers coming in tall grass with just their head and part of the neck visibile. I shooting over their head because of flinching in anticipation of the dreaded recoil from the 3 1/2.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Hognutz

Postby Hognutz » February 28th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Somebody asked me why I use a 3.5'' turkey load? My reply was, because they don't make a 4''. More pellets is a good thing. I suppose someone, somewhere hunts them with a .410. And I know they shoot them with arrows every season, but I will take all the pellets I can get. If I don't need them all great, but if I do.....Each to his own. This can be argued 'till the cows come home. Good luck..Mike
And there I was...Knee deep in grenade pins..

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » March 2nd, 2010, 5:58 pm

I'm anticipating sighting in my new Xtrema with 3 and 3.5 loads. I hunt alot of geese and have run 3 boxes of 3.5's in a morning snow goose hunt. granted I feel that after 3 boxes but you only use one round for a gobbler. I also have a limbsaver butt pad installed. Which ever patterns best goes afield. I agree with more pellets better chances.

Roughrider out [:D]

flatrock9

Postby flatrock9 » March 5th, 2010, 4:55 am

Two seasons ago I went out and bought a dedicated turkey gun.  Benelli Super Nova with pistol grip.  I had for years used an 870 with 3" shells.  For some reason I felt like I needed to start buying 3.5" shells. 

Since buying the gun I haven't tried but a few 3" shells.  I have, however, tried several choke/shell combinations.

My daughter's gun is a Mossberg 500 20 gauge that shoots beautiful patterns with the 3" Hevi shot.

I really don't know why I went to the 3.5".  Just felt like the thing to do.  My suggestion would be to study a little and shoot what does best for you.  My brother has called and talked to many of the choke tube and shell manufacturers and has found what gun/shell/choke combos work the best.

wymuley

Postby wymuley » March 5th, 2010, 7:36 pm

I love the heavy shot in my 3 1/2". Been using the same box of ten for three years and still have a few shells left.

Hognutz

Postby Hognutz » March 11th, 2010, 5:05 am

It is a great factory/over the counter shell. The new #7's have taken the turkey world by storm...Mike
And there I was...Knee deep in grenade pins..

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies