Suggestions wanted- Blind purchase

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
shad309

Suggestions wanted- Blind purchase

Postby shad309 » June 7th, 2010, 8:15 am

I got a cheapy blind the other day for me & my kids to use. I can't remember the name but it was less than $50. Didn't like it and returned it.

For under $150, what would you suggest (if you use one).

I want one that is pop-up, not a 20lb'er, easy to assemble, black out inside, scent masking (if an option). I know why dont I ask for a fridge, heater, & a tv too.... LOL

shad309

RE: Suggestions wanted- Blind purchase

Postby shad309 » June 11th, 2010, 3:29 am

3 pages on the use of blinds but no suggestions? come on fellas, I know somebody is using them [;)]

JPH

Postby JPH » June 11th, 2010, 7:27 am

Hmmm. Maybe they're not destroying turkey hunting after all? [:D]

Seriously, I wish I could help you. I have one and it is one of those double folding chairs with the hoops that reach up and over (does that make any sense?). I think it was under $150 but I don't know. My wife and daughter bought it for me one year and I didn't have the heart to tell them that it was not a good gift. I've tried to use it a few times. I would not reccomend it.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » June 11th, 2010, 7:46 am

Believe it or not I like the cheapos better. I have a couple of the Ameristep Doghouse blinds. They go up in about 5 minutes- only two shock corded roof supports to assemble, stake down all four corners and you're hunting. They're lighter than a hub style and compact into a large backback size. I've hunted out of several hub style blinds and the sides stick out farther than the roof line....as a result rain just pours in when it's coming down steady. The Doghouse has near verticle sides and dodges that problem.

You can find them for $59.00 bucks on sale. The scent lock version does for about $109.00.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

shad309

Postby shad309 » June 11th, 2010, 8:12 am

LOL @ JPH

Thanks FC, will check out those Ameristeps!

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 11th, 2010, 5:15 pm

I bought a Yukon tracks hub blind from gander Mt.  About $80  It weigh about 14 lbs + whatever stool you will plan to sit on.  I used it all last deer season and it was comfortable enough.  I took my daughter out with me and it was big enough for the 2 of us.  I would like it to be a might taller as I can't stand fully up in mine.  I left it set up all season long.  I did hunt on days I would have stayed in and on a certain cold windy day it was comfortable.  I used it one day turkey hunting this year.  It stormed most of the morning and I remained dry.  I don't think it offers much protection from lightening though. 
There was a similar post earlier this year you may try a search for.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 11th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Here is a link to Yukon tracks.  I have no problem recommending them.
http://www.getyukontracks.com/home_yu.asp
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » June 12th, 2010, 7:56 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Believe it or not I like the cheapos better. I have a couple of the Ameristep Doghouse blinds. They go up in about 5 minutes- only two shock corded roof supports to assemble, stake down all four corners and you're hunting. They're lighter than a hub style and compact into a large backback size. I've hunted out of several hub style blinds and the sides stick out farther than the roof line....as a result rain just pours in when it's coming down steady. The Doghouse has near verticle sides and dodges that problem.

You can find them for $59.00 bucks on sale. The scent lock version does for about $109.00.

X2 !

BUCKEYES

Postby BUCKEYES » July 14th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Midway usa has the Hunter Specialties 10 10 10 blind for around a $100. It sets up in seconds. I wouldn't recommend it for archery hunting due to window height. I've been carrying mine in and out for years without any problems. I work the graveyard shift so most mornings I leave work early to be in the woods before flydown. I need to be well hidden because it is hard to sit still after a couple of hours. Killed my first bow longbeard this year out of a blind (not in the 10 10 10 blind).

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » July 14th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Shad I have a ameristep dog house tsc reversible blind we usually set it up in the fall for deer hunting. We take it back in pretty far and use it as a place to hole up if the weather gets bad. Makes a good place to meet and eat lunch in cold weather as we let a small propane heater and some chairs in it also. It has held up 4 years now and it is still in good shape. We spray it with silicone waterproofing as needed and have not had any leaks thusfar. We got it at Gander Mt. 100.00.
Jon
Turkeybuster

Next

Return to Strategies