Mark Strand's "Starin' Down the Rattle" article

Comments and suggestions about T&TH are welcome here.
Cut N Run

Mark Strand's "Starin' Down the Rattle" article

Postby Cut N Run » March 3rd, 2010, 2:31 am

I really enjoyed reading Mark Strand's "Starin' Down the Rattle" article in the April 2010 issue of T&TH.  Reading the article made my mind race to times when I'd had similar extremely close encounters with Spring gobblers. There truly is no other feeling in hunting like trying to take a wary gobbler who is coming to your calls while looking for the source with his sharp eyes while you are trying to keep your cool and remain motionless. The description of a gobbler drumming up close is right on the money.  Just knowing he's so close, yet so far away is a delightfully maddening experience. One false move by the hunter and it is game over for you. One false move by the turkey and it can be game over for him. He may just drift off all together when he sees no hen.

I tagged a gobbler in '07 (my biggest to date and my most memorable hunt ever) that got to within 4 feet of me before he crossed far enough in front for me to get a shot. As I was reading the article, those sounds & sensations of that morning came rushing back to my memory like it happened yesterday.  Good job, Mark. Nicely done. I appreciate it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Steve_In

RE: Mark Strand's "Starin' Down the Rattle" article

Postby Steve_In » March 3rd, 2010, 3:57 am

I too thought it was a good article.  I have had some gobblers close but could not get the shot.  Two times a hen drug the gobbler along so you have more sets of eyes looking for you.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

beardhunter

Postby beardhunter » March 3rd, 2010, 4:48 pm

I read it, great article.What a rush having them that close.Could of poked a hen with the muzzle on a hunt in Conn. Gobbler did not follow but harvested him 2 hrs. later. Talk about a stress test. Keep up the good work guys. 

paturkeyhunter29

Postby paturkeyhunter29 » April 14th, 2010, 2:50 pm

I agree, it was a good article that made me think of a few hunts where I had a gobbler so close but yet could not shoot him.
It's always an exciting and neat experience !
Love to hear the turkeys talk!

Return to Magazine Feedback