Team #8....Broke Neck Raiders

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
kygobbler

RE: Team #8....Broke Neck Raiders

Postby kygobbler » March 14th, 2011, 6:40 am

Well gentlemen the best of luck to both of you in the next few days. I hope ya get some true trophys.
Is it turkey season yet?

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 14th, 2011, 2:18 pm

Ok guys tomorrow it begins. The loggers are still on my lease but I should be able to work opposite sides of where ever they move. A big tom crossed through where they are working now while I drove in on Sunday. The birds are there, I just need to find where they were pushed. The loggers will be at it hard in the morning, they just make soo much noise.
South Carolina Low Country

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 15th, 2011, 3:03 am

Hey Morgan, I had the same problem last year. Loggers started cutting on youth weekend and didn't stop untill the season was over. I noticed that the turkeys kept the same routines but when the loggers were around they made sure to stay out of dodge untill the loggers left. I had my sights on a gobbler one mourning waiting for him to get within range and as soon as that logger started his chain saw that gobblers head went up and he went the opposite direction[:@] I wish there was a law that you can not log during turkey season but oh well.
Is it turkey season yet?

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 15th, 2011, 11:14 am

Only heard 2 distant gobbles from the roost right at daybreak. I'll spare the excuses, tomorrow is another day.

Timber Chicken

Postby Timber Chicken » March 15th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Good Luck hope you get em.
Experience is the best teacher.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » March 15th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Keep after em. Good luck to you.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 16th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Called in a hen today...saw a gobbler but I was driving. The weather is stablizing today and I've figured out where the loggers have pushed the birds. Tomorrow is a new day.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 16th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Stay with 'em Morgan and put us on the board.
Is it turkey season yet?

Timber Chicken

Postby Timber Chicken » March 17th, 2011, 7:33 am

Well I am off to Florida. Hopefully I make the team proud. I probably won't be online until next Thursday when I come back. So don't think I jumped shipped.
Experience is the best teacher.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 17th, 2011, 11:51 am

No gobbles at daybreak. Went to a different set-up. I sat down and i "cluck" "cluck" "cluckcluck" and get an immediate gobble from 150yards away. Game on!! The crows and woods peckers locate him. I start sending him some sweet whispers. He is to my right and should come strait up the hardwood bottom to me. He never gobbles to me again, but directly across from me about 40 yards I hear "pfffhhhttt." It's puffy, puffing up, but I can't see him. I whisper some more. Pffhhhttt. whisper/scratch, pfffhhhtt, whisper cluck, pffhhttt, silence, pffhhhtt. He's just on the other side of a dirt mound from a ditch. Pfffhhhttt, I adjust my point of aim, whisper...whisper...soft yelp...cluck...silence...wait. The crows went silent, the woodpeckers went silent. He saw me adjust my aim. Sorry for the sad story.

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp