Team #2...The Magnificent Seven

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
mookyj

RE: Team #2

Postby mookyj » March 19th, 2011, 9:28 am

ORIGINAL: mark hay

Fellers , I was just acting a fool when I made that post about that song ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But , if you like it I like . Dan you did a fine job it too . I never , ever had any desire to get a tattoo in my life ,,,,,,,Not until now ! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Wha'cha think there Mr. Gobblerman?

maybe you like this for a tattoo

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » March 19th, 2011, 2:55 pm

Hey scoot,I when out scouting today did not see alot of sign,but I was sitting on top of my ridge and listing and enjoying a good cup of coffee, and the old boss at the head of the hollow started to gobble his head off at some crows,this old son of gun is the same gobbler that drove me cazy last two years,maybe this is my year to carry this old friend out on my back.I will try to go back next week to see if he will stay there,I hope this is a start of great season.[;)][;)][;)] Hey Mark I am trying not let our team down.

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » March 19th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Hey mookyj,that is a great tattoo.

scoot12

Postby scoot12 » March 19th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Nice tat mookyj,  that baby probablly cost bunch.  Scoot

mookyj

Postby mookyj » March 20th, 2011, 1:25 am

Three sittings, black & shading(bird), color, then background. $510, plus he got another $100 tip. Scot Clark (Sacred Art in Cortland) did the work. He did a buck and doe on my other arm for my anniversary, and a portrait of my grandchildren on my back shoulder.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 20th, 2011, 4:28 am

I finally got to the woods this morning . Tried to get out for the past few weeks but my worn out carcass just would not let me .
 First stop I heard one gobble ,,,wwaaayyyyy off to the east . I saddled up and drove over to that part of the area . Upon stopping and trying to crawl out of that Cavalier I could hear turkeys , hens and jakes , yelping in two directions . Finally get my feet under me and straightened up my back and began taking it all in . I was parked right on a township road . So , looking forward as the car is facing , there was a flock on the right at about 100 yards . Off to the left was another at about 300-400 yards . Both flocks were pretty well scattered out but still on the roost . A lone gobbler was farther up the ridge and farther left . He made the first discernable move . Shortly after he went silent the yakketty hens began to pitch . Several cackled as they did . The distance between the gobblers roost and the hens was about 200 yards . The hens moved toward the tom and about halfway to his roosting area they got into a horrific fight . It only lasted about one minute , but it was quite a bunch of noise . Too far to hear wingslaps but the fighting purrs and sharp clucks were very clear .
 The flock on the right side of the road is still on the limb . Short series of ''Roost Pitting'' ,,,jakes yelping , hens yelping and clucking . They were just beginning to pitch as I left . They were still in the trees 30 minutes after the left side flock had pitched out .
 The gobbler didn't make another sound after he hit the ground .
 Saw tracks where someone had parked in a field and then drove out . I didn't see any other scouters or vehicles around the area .
 It was very overcast and breezy at sun up ,,,,around 40 degrees.

scoot12

Postby scoot12 » March 20th, 2011, 2:52 pm

Great Mark,   Hope they are there when its your time to slay the big one.  Scoot

Rennat

Postby Rennat » March 21st, 2011, 1:34 am

sweet tat mooky
NWTF Member

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 22nd, 2011, 12:32 pm

Da' gummit man! We're under four weeks from showtime . Leaves are popping out on the shrubs and low bushes in the woods . Flowers pushing up everywhere you look . Birds singing ,,,,,,,,,whistlepigs gorging themselves on tender shoots of new grass,,,,turkeys struttin' an' gobblin'.
 The idea of getting in the woods with my new WRC glass pot and the older one too, along with the brass trumpet is working on me like I've never experienced .

I want to wish all of Team #2 the best of hunts ,,,,,,,,,,,,and some long morning battles with patience and longbeards . [:D]

scoot12

Postby scoot12 » March 23rd, 2011, 5:10 am

Thanks Mark and good luck to everybody also.  I will be making a late season hunt with Scott from WillowRidgeCalls.  He is coming down and hunting with me on my property.  It will be nice hunting with a pro,  I am still a newbie and need all the help I can.  Scoot

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp