Team #5....Limbhangers

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
MAKEemQUIVER

RE: Team #5

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 3rd, 2011, 3:27 pm

SS I live and hunt in central KY, I think someone else already mentioned it but we start April 16. Ive been getting trail cam pics of about six or seven longbeards on our farm all winter but by the end of the month I hope that two or three stay in the area after they bust up. I have a couple of pics in the trail cam section.

I think I am going to have several birds to chase on other properties as well. Around here you usually dont know how many birds are going to be on your properties until around the first of April. SS have the birds in your area been doing much lately?

SouthernStrut

Postby SouthernStrut » March 4th, 2011, 11:03 am

Quiver, I currently live about 3 hours from my family land I've been hunting since I was a kid, which is killing me, so I have no idea what they've been doing lately. I know they usually kick in and start gobbling right around opening week and the week after, but this warm spell could have fired em up a little last week. I heard people around here saying they were gobbling pretty good but I couldn't get down here to check. I stayed with my parents last night so I could get up and go listen this morning, but the wind was whippin around 25 mph so I wasn't able to hear anything. It's been nice and warm the past two weeks, and the one weekend I find time to come down a cold front moves through and it's miserable with this wind. Gonna be nice again next week when I'm back at the plant, ahhhh life. I did see one hen ease out into the road this morning for about 20 seconds, but nothing to get excited over. We're letting a guy plant corn this year and he's been cutting and disking here recently. We'll have 30 acres of fresh dirt by opening day so there should be more turkey activity soon. Gonna be raining in the morning, I'll probably stop into the land and check the fields before heading back to reality.
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

firelt72

Postby firelt72 » March 4th, 2011, 11:10 am

Hey all Lt here! I will be tromping out in KS, Indiana (home state) and KY if I can pull it off! I will have chances at taking 5 birds this year...most likely 3, but 5 is a option.
I can't wait. Wish I could be in FL today! Anyway great to be here with you all!
Eric
Local 4416 Hamilton County Fire Fighters
If it is bleeding or on fire I can usually fix it; Other than that we might be in trouble....

SouthernStrut

Postby SouthernStrut » March 5th, 2011, 5:54 pm

Not a great report, but not too bad. Checked a camera and had a bunch of hens on it in one spot, but no gobblers. I listened up at the gate both yesterday morning and today and didn't hear a single sound. Sat down by the cabin from about 6:30-8:30 both mornings and saw one hen ease out at the edge of the field. Looks good down there though. We've leased it out to a local farmer to plant corn so I'll have 25 or 30 acres of plowed up dirt fields to hunt come opening morning. Hopefully all the hens and the fresh plowed up dirt will draw in some monster longbeards soon. A couple buddies want me to call for em at their clubs that are loaded with birds, so I might luck up and score there too.
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 6th, 2011, 4:27 am

SS sounds like you've got a pretty good setup there with those plowed dirt fields. And I wouldn't worry about not seeing or hearing any birds just yet because it sounds like you've got plenty of hens running around, and trust me, those big boys will be all over those hens before too long[;)]

Steroidchicken, I live/hunt in lebanon (marion co.) Kentucky. If you look at a map and put your finger in the center of KY, you'll be pointing right where I am. I'm not very familiar with the guston area but I would guess it's about an hour and a half away or better. What dates will you be hunting KY this season? What parts of Georgia do you hunt? I have a buddy that just moved down to Macon last year and we're trying to get things together for me to come down there and hunt next season!
Brian

SouthernStrut

Postby SouthernStrut » March 6th, 2011, 7:44 am

Yeah they'll show up sooner or later, they always do. I'm usually seeing and hearing them a little more by now though, so I'm a little more anxious than usual. Looking forward to seeing the fields plowed from end to end and planted for the first time since my granddad passed 10 years ago, gonna be a great season no matter what happens.

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » March 7th, 2011, 6:44 am

kenturkey....guston is northwest of lebanon. it is close to fort knox. the farms i hunt are within an hour of one another.
i will be up there on opening day..april 16th.
i hunt several places here in georgia....i have a 7000 acre tract that i ahve been a member of for 26 years...it is about 30 minutes northwest of macon. i hope that you have good luck up there and also if you get to come down to georgia.
take care and successful hunting...
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » March 8th, 2011, 3:21 am

Hey, fellers,...you are the only team that hasn't chosen a name for your squad.  I am keeping an eye on the team threads to see when there is some consensus about team names.  I will keep checking in and add the team name when I see you have agreed on one.

Good luck in the contest! ....And let's have some fun with it!

Jim

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 8th, 2011, 6:17 am

Fellas we can't be outdone by the rest of the competition. As for a team name, I saw a list that Shaman posted for his team and one of the names he came up with was 'snood snipers', which I thought was pretty clever. Shaman and I are fellow Kentuckians so I don't think he would be too upset if we stole the name. I'm open to any other suggestions. Anybody else got any ideas?
Brian

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 8th, 2011, 9:07 am

Brian that name is fine with me. I also thought about "Widowmakers" and "Drummin and Comin".

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp